samurai exhibition in Rotterdam

there is a samurai exhibition in Rotterdam, Netherlands from october till march 2013. This in cooperation with the Royal museum for art and history, far eastern department of Brussels, Stibbert museum Florence, Museum of Ethnology Leiden, myself and many others.

http://www.wereldmuseum.nl

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Rotterdam yesterday to mount my armors, most of the pieces were already there. It will be a very fine exhibition with several armors that were never shown before. I saw the catalogue, Dutch/English. It will be for sale by email from the museum shop next week.

The pictures are very good, lots of details are shown. Really a must have for armorfreaks!

Luc, I was present at the Ducth To-Ken meeting last weekend where Mr. Duindam mentioned some of the pieces that will be displayed and I have to say I really look forward visitting the exhibition. I definately will buy the catalogue as soon as it is available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm looking forward to see the exhibition.

I'm flying down to Rotterdam from Stockholm tomorrow together with my wife, planning to check it out on Saturday together with Jan "viper6924". Hopefully it's allowed to take some photos to chare here. The book will be bought on site.

regards,

Anthony

Hello!

The exibition was great! Beautiful armours 20 or so, in a display with a awesome ambiance many from Stibbert, Florence mostly myochin. Some swords nothing spectacular, some huuge teppos, nice yumis. Beutiful tsubas an other koshirae parts. The "flags" and other textiles were beautiful as well as the woodprints.

Overall a very nice mix of equipment, veapons and art objects.

Jan and I walked out with the books in a nice bag with a big smile on our faces.

Unfortunately no photo allowed, I managed to get some with life at risk, the staff was very angry.....

Regards,

Anthony de Vos

I can only agree with Anthony. This was a truely great exhibition. Well worth a visit. The armors and kabutos was top notch. The security...not so much :steamed: If I can take pictures of paintings done by Rembrandt in Amsterdam, it should be ok to snap a few at a samuraiexhibition.

The only problem now is that I must start planning for a visit to the Stibbert in Italy. But on the other hand, that´s not much of a problem :D

/Jan

For those that want to order the Catalogue here is a direct link: http://wereldmuseumwinkel.com/pages/2/w ... ductId=138

I visited The Loo Palace in Apeldoorn 2 months ago and they have a new director who has allowed making photo's as the photo policy was a bit outdated . I do agree with this, I understand you are not allowed to use flash but just photo's should be allowed. Photo's do not give you the experience of being there in person. I would still recommend everyone to visit The Loo Palace even after seeing my photo's. And I would do the same for the Rotterdam Exhibition.

But it is good to know making photo's is not allowed then I can leave my camera at home when I visit next month. The Catalogue is nice so that will have to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

about Rotterdam, good news. The exhibition will last till end of May due to the great succes.

Maybe this is an opportunity to organise a meeting among collectors? If this is possible, I try to arrange something with the curator, Bas Verberk.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello everybody,

don't forget the meeting at teh Wereldmuseum in Rotterdam on may 3, 11h.

the curator, Bas Verberk will guide us thought the collection.

Perfect opportunity to meet each other.

Can everyone please confirm if you will be there?

Luc Taelman

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

finally some impressions from the exhibition. I had the honor, to meet there with some nice European katchu-collectors.

Thanks to the curator, Bas Verberk, who allowed me to take some pics!!!

post-77-14196867861641_thumb.jpg

post-77-14196867915342_thumb.jpg

post-77-14196867917955_thumb.jpg

post-77-14196867864551_thumb.jpg

post-77-14196867866164_thumb.jpg

post-77-1419686791368_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..