Tsuba ID Help

ehk

Hi Rick,

To me it looks like a Ko-Kinko (old soft-metal work) tsuba with a nice fukurin that was added and/or repaired much later then when the tsuba was made. All in all a good tsuba thanks for posting. :) I like the mon designs they look like they have been lacquered. The kiku or Chrysanthemum is 16 petals which was used as a Imperial badge. This is often seen in early soft metal work crica the Momoyama Period. Here is a tsuba in my collection also with a 16-petal Chrysanthemum design. I think my tsuba with the same design is a little later from the early Edo Period and made of iron.

Is it new to your tsuba collection or on one of your nihonto?

Yours truly,

David Stiles

post-1126-14196842356909_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your help and information, really interesting and appreciated. Trying to learn as much as possible.

@David, it is the only interesting Tsuba from my small Tsuba collection. Thank you for posting the Tsuba from your collection, always nice to see and learn from other collectors pieces.

@David, it is the only interesting Tsuba from my small Tsuba collection.

Rick, don't be shy, you have a few more which I think would be worth discussing here :-) Do not hesitate to post them. This is your finest tsuba and I must say you have shown good taste, being a beginner. But my take is theat we will enjoy two or three other tsuba from your collection as well :-)

David what makes you think the fukurin has been added later?

Hi Henry,

The fukurin soft metal is a different color in the photos indicating a different patination process. Generally I also think a fukurin of a completely different piece of metal with a some what different patina color are generally added later to help support and protect the rim from additional damage after it have been in use awhile and maybe as part of some type of repair. I have seen this before on a Namban tsuba I once had in my collection.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Hi David

I can't see difference in colours on the rim which would make me think it is a later addition. There seems to a black residue on it which looks like lacquer but not a difference in patina to my eye.

I don't disagree with it being a later addition, I just think there is a chance it might not be.

Cheers

Hi Henry,

What i think is a different patina could be a layer of lacquer. These subtle differences are really hard to tell without having the tsuba in hand to examine. Regardless if the fukurin is original or not I like the tsuba. This important point we all agree on.

:)

Yours truly,

David Stiles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..