Nobumitsu Gunto

ehk

I am helping a good friend of mine researching a blade that was offered to him. I have not much knowledge at all on Gunto's but perhaps I can learn something from this.

What else can be said about this sword being a Nobumitsu Gunto in type 3 mounts? I found it hard to believe that the price is 1200 dollars but then again as I mentioned before I have no real knowledge on Gunto blades with WWII history. It is stamped but I have no photo of that.

post-2239-14196841851831_thumb.jpg

post-2239-14196841854693_thumb.jpg

post-2239-14196841857985_thumb.jpg

post-2239-14196841861683_thumb.jpg

post-2239-14196841865761_thumb.jpg

post-2239-14196841875882_thumb.jpg

Most likely Sukemitsu Nobumitsu worked in Seki,real name Sukemitsu Nobukazu,licenced on 26th Oct Showa 14.Have seen a number of blades with this very 'chippy' signature,very bright steel with no evidence of hada and a misty white 'hamon' that looks etched on,lower grade gunto I guess.

Thank you all for contributing.

The sword does seem to come with 2 saya indeed, the original Gunto saya and a wooden saya. The reason the Tsuka looks so good is that it has been re-done recently. I think the seller of this sword did not manage to sell it through ebay so he offered it to my good friend. He won't buy the sword but we were both interested in learning more about it. I did not know 1200 dollars was the normal price for a piece like this, it not being that special.

Thanks!

As for "normal" price, can I say that $1200 is not uncommon for a WWII gunto on ebay. Of course this is not from knowledgeable nihonto collectors but the general bidder or beginner collector who wants a neat, clean "Japanese sword".

It is only with the gaining of knowledge that the collector moves on to true nihonto.

Regards,

• 2 years later...

sorry, I am missing something here ! it looks like the blade has had a Dura-Glit or lemon juice job done on it and over polished and lost all it's shape, And now needs a new proper polish on top of the 1200.00

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..