2012 Dai Token Ichi Extra Events Arranged by Robert Hughes

Dear sword friends,

If you have plans to visit Japan for the DTI (Oct. 26th/27th/28th), the premiere samurai artifact show in the world, I would like to invite you to attend two special activities: 1) a special sword study session and reception in Kamakura on Wednesday October 24th and 2) the Yakatabune dinner party on Saturday, October 27th.

If you would like to reserve a spot for either of these activities please correspond with me by e-mail at keichodo@yahoo.com.

1) The sword study session on October 24th will be held from 1:30 p.m. at the impressive Kamakura estate of Mr. Takahashi, President of Shingendo. Mr. Takahashi has offered the use of one of his buildings. Additionally, there will be rooms displaying a wide selection of high grade armor, sword fittings, and swords for sale. Mr. Takahashi is sponsoring a sushi party in the late afternoon and evening.

The cost of the sword study session is yen 8,000 per participant. This event promises to be both educational and fun!

Overnight accommodation can be arranged in Kamakura at a centrally-located economical business hotel for around yen 8,400 per night or at the more elegant Park Hotel for yen 14,700. These are per person room charges. Let me know as I have rooms on hold.

2) As with previous years, the Yakatabune boat cruise/tempura dinner/ with drinks is being offered again. Participants should meet at around 6:30 p.m. at the departure point near Shinagawa Station (with the boat leaving the pier at 7:00 p.m.) Maps will be available and taxi sharing from the DTI is also possible. The cost is yen 10,500 per participant. This event is becoming legendary!

Reservations for either of these activities are required as both are limited capacity events. A reservation means a commitment to pay for your spot.

Reservations for the sword study session in Kamakura will be taken until we have reached our capacity of twenty participants.

Reservations for the Yakatabune party need to be made by October 25th and payment made at my shop at the DTI on Friday, October 26th.

Hope to see you in Japan!

Best Regards,

Robert :bowdown:

Hi Guys,

I have not seen any reaction to Bob post, it is time for me to step in.

The sword instruction is by Ikeda Sensei. His father was the famous sword authority who published many books. Mr. Ikeda himself is a well-known sword polisher and sword expert. Many important blades will be available for study. Explanations in Japanese and in English.

The location of the study session is Mr. Takahashi's Kamakura residence. This is a fabulous large estate where Mr. Takahashi lives. His sword shop is Shingendo in Kanda in Tokyo. Mr. Takahashi is allowing the Kamakura Sword Study group to use his residence for the study session and he is sponsoring the party after the sword study session.

That the second time that Bob is organizing this event thanks to his relationships as well as with Ikeda sensei as with Mr Takahashi, all people who have attended this event last year were delighted. It is the fantastic opportunity to have a direct contact with a Japanese sword expert/polisher and discuss swords on display with him, there is no example of such private session in the west at such prize and with such swords as Mr Takahashi who has one of the best swords shop in Tokyo Kanda has one of the most impressive swords collection (I have seen some).

The Yakatabune boat cruise/tempura dinner/ with drinks is now legendary and a lot of NMB members assist, John Grasso, Fred W., Robert, Hans, Cyrus, Guido, Clive and some craftsmen among whom last year was attending Ford Hallam teacher.

I would like to add that there is a karaoke contest for the volunteers and I have still on my Ipad, Guido and Robert singing (Guido in Japanese)

Edit to add: I keep them undisclosed at present, and probably will use them in a more or less near future for some blackmail purpose :badgrin:

The organization of these events are quite burdening for Bob as he does it unselfishly, on his freetime and believe me it is a lot of time

So please, people interested contact without any delay Bob at : keichodo@yahoo.com, so he can secure the events

I completely concur with Jean, Bob is exceedingly generous in giving up his time to organise these events and while I won't be in Japan in time for the wednesday event, I certainly hope to be at the party on Saturday night.

I missed last year but the 2011 dinner was the highlight of our trip. I would however recommend some serious drinking practice if you are palnning on keeping up with Bob and his merry crew.

Tony

I have not yet had the pleasure of attending Robert's Yakatabune cruise event in the past, but I hope to attend this year's event. We have all seen the photographs of the previous cruises and revelry, courtesy of those members who attended in the past. It truly looks like the cruise has indeed become legendary and the highlight of everyone's trip to Japan. I am looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I will be arriving in Japan the afternoon of the 24th, and I will be unable to attend the Kamakura sword study session, which sounds like an incredible event! Hope to see everyone in Japan in October.

Best Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan

I haven't had the privilege of attending one of the sword study events, but I can honestly say that the yakatabune event when I was there was one of the highlights of my entire Japan trip. It would be crazy to miss it if you are there. Not just the food and drink, but the company, the atmosphere and most all, the sight of Tokyo at night from the river is something you won't forget.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..