Hataraki question

hillman

Hi everyone,

I just received a new purchase, and have noticed some type of hataraki on the shinogi that I am unfamiliar with. So, I thought I'd see if the experience on this forum will be able to assist me.

The hataraki appears to me to be a very faint hitatsura, or a very bold utsuri, and is found on both the omote and ura, throughout the length of the blade. It's also not apparent unless viewed at the right angle under proper lighting. It's also not the hada, which can be seen underneath this.

Here are some pictures to illustrate what I'm describing.

Any feedback would be helpful!

post-941-14196841338776_thumb.jpg

post-941-14196841386894_thumb.jpg

post-941-14196841388801_thumb.jpg

post-941-1419684139081_thumb.jpg

post-941-14196841392891_thumb.jpg

post-941-1419684139469_thumb.jpg

Hillman, would you please sign your posts per Brian's rules?

I have one wakizashi with excellent hataraki, but I've never seen anything like your blade. Do they go above the shinogi?

Ken

My apologies...thanks for the reminder to sign my posts.

Some of this hataraki does extend above the shinogi, getting close to the mune, but its too faint to photograph because of the burnishing there.

Gerald

Gerald, I have a tanto with an oddball hataraki somewhat like yours: post-328-14196841400585_thumb.jpg

but I've come to the conclusion that the smith's intent was to make the hamon appear like Fuji-san, & the hamon goes all the way up to the mune. Your blade, on the other hand, has hataraki that look random. Do you have any information on the smith or school?

Ken

I had guessed it might have been cleaned with acetone by a previous owner, since I've only used uchiko, but the patchiness seems to be on the crystalline level in the steel.

I've included two more close-up shots of the ji (my camera's macro function is awful BTW), hoping to depict this.

post-941-14196841403839_thumb.jpg

post-941-14196841409108_thumb.jpg

I‘d like to emphasize that hataraki are the intended result of smithing - in nioi deki or nie deki - except shirake utsuri, which occurs unintentionally, hence the pattern seen on this sword cannot be identified as hataraki in the original sense. The mazy pattern is likely the result of improper handling.

Eric

Eric, I agree with you that what we are seeing here is not hataraki, but I don't agree that hataraki HAS to be intentional.

What would you call utsuri (or any other hataraki) that appeared unintentionally? I would still label it with whatever name it is normally identified by.

So I would say hataraki is often intentional, but not always... and never completely predictable.

Mister bowen

Have a look on a shodai Tadayoshi suguha hamon and its distribution of nie, so you will understand what i mean.

Heat treatment is but one facet of sword making and it would be foolish to assume that it is the difference between saijo saku and chu saku ranked smiths.

By the way, how many shodai Tadayoshi blades have you actually seen in your hand?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..