What do you guys make of this- Any takers?

J Reid

Hey guys.

So I just picked up this wakizashi. I was told it was mumei and in the dealer photos it looks mumei to me. Upon receiving it I noticed it actually had what looked like a signature. Its practically illegible in my opinion and obviously his too. But just out of curiosity, can anyone make sense of this. Even if you can tell me what kanji you see, I really want something more to go on..

Blade details:

-59.9cm cutting edge

-muromachi period

-mino den

-masame/itame hada

-notare with nie

-higaki yasurime

-kaeri-fukashi boshi

-fukura-tsuku kissaki

-deep torii

Any thoughts?

Photobucket

"Bizen Nagamitsu was the son of Bizen Mitsutada who was the founder of the Bizen Osafune School. Bizen Nagamitsu is thought to have begun production around the Bunei and Koan eras (1264-1287). There are some later works signed Sakon Shogen Nagamitsu from the Einin and Shoan eras (1293-1301). There is a school of thought that attributes swords with this signature to a second-generation smith Nagamitsu. I think that the predominate school of thought, however, is that there was only one generation."

Josh

Josh,

anybody interested in Nihonto knows Nagamitsu, we could say he is to Nihonto what Goya is to painting.

This to say, fat chance to be the real Bizen Nagamitsu (100 of fakes), need pictures of the blade to say more.

I totally agree, I had already noticed it, since he is a Kamakura smith and famed for his tachi and not kodachi. So, it has nothing to do with you mentioning it is shinogi zukuri.

Almost everything is given in the description given by Josh. The hada: itame/masame; hamon with nie, yasurime.

Josh,

When giving description of a blade and above all of nakago, you should precise:

- suriage or not

- number of mekugi ana.

A glance at the Whole nakago would have told us if Bizen or not.

This sword is most than probably an uchigatana

Hey guys.

So this topic has been busy since yesterday.. Okay so I know who Nagamitsu is and his profile in our world. I don't doubt that this is most likely gimei. I just figured it was exciting to find a relevant signature on a purchased "mumei" blade.. As for my original specs- I unfortunately didn't take time to thoroughly evaluate the aesthetics before I posted. I was just anxious for opinions on the mei alone and figured some specs were in order. But since it was 3 AM, I wouldn't say they're my best guess yet. At the time I wasn't up for some photography.. haha. I used john yumatos book for reference and that book is a good start, but lacking details, I find. After reading a couple more books my evaluation on the specs has of course changed. I did take some more pictures today though. Forgive my expert photography skills ( I used my Iphone 8) ).

URL: http://photobucket.com/nagamitsu

Lets continue. :)

Josh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..