Edo Period Corner Part II

Piers, yes, those small fully stocked flintlocks. The only relevance to this thread being what Michael was saying.

Been looking for several years and you just don't see them, good ones anyways. Then all of a sudden one dealer in particular seems to have a no ending run of them coming onto his site, its as though an old collector is giving it up and consigning his collection .

Cant remember ever seeing one with the box, this type, same dealer

A Small Cased Flintlock Pistol (garthvincent.com)

• Thanks 1

One can only dream!

I once saw and handled a wonderful long-boxed Tanegashima, shiny and perfect in every detail of woodworking and kirikane metalwork, with various accessories plus two interchangeable locks in the set, one matchlock and the other a percussion lock.

It struck me that an ageing gunsmith must have decided to record his life and times, pouring all his knowledge into one Meiji swansong opus.

• Like 2

He allowed me to take photos on condition that it was only for personal use, so I never showed them to anyone.

Eventually he donated about 2,000 objects to the Meirin Gakusha Museum in Hagi, much of which is on display there. Definitely worth visiting if you are ever in Yamaguchi. Sadly Ogawa San died a couple of years back, but his Japanese matchlock accessories book is still a must-have.

PS Memory Lane... he was once the leader of the Choshu matchlock troop, and his wife was a member and used to fire an O-zutsu big gun. She looks great in this one photo that I took a secretive shot of! Sssshhh....

Oh, and I inherited a few things from them! :)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alex A said:

Wouldn't look forward to moving house with some of those cannons, look really heavy!

Yes. My eyeballs get heavy just looking at them, Alex. Proper do your back in. I can add some more shots if you like.

Another friend showed me photos of some Tokugawa cannon in his garden, weighing 400 kg each, I think he said. Covered in inscriptions, apparently.

• Like 2

Yes please Piers, love cannon, cheers

Ps, about stuff in boxes. Was curious about the pocket pistol above and contacted the dealer.  Always have doubts so asked if the box was original to the gun. Appears not, even though looks it. Live and learn, pays to be curious about such matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Turn up the volume!

April 7, 2024 on the bridge at Shinjo Village, where the famous Sakura de Triomphe

(Gaisen Sakura) are located. Three ladies start us off with a 'Reisha' or salute.

At 14:30 I get knocked off my feet by the 50 Monme hand cannon.

The 100 Monme (19:50) towards the end is good!

• Love 5

Amazing Piers, what a vast array there is.. We are very lucky to have you on NMB!. 

Do you know if all those cannon were manufactured in Japan ? .No expert, some look Japanese and some Western,  i guess maybe influenced by Western Cannon around at that time, especially the one on the Naval carriage. One reminds me of a lantaka.

A lot to take in, appears quite a few could come under the "swivel cannon" type.

A really nice ornate cannon, looks bronze.

Like the one on the carriage with the wood stock., that's fantastic, i want one.

Lots of various cannon balls/shells. They actually remind me of that Sherman round from ww2.

Absolutely amazing collection, id have a field day in there lol

• Love 1