Edo Period Corner Part II

Ok, the question popped up, so I just dug it out of the salt barrel for another look in the sunlight.

Old Mr Light has been playing his tricks again. The marks are not black but green! Copper corrosion. (The Mon is blackened silver as above). Photos supplied upon request.

PS Lovely example, John. :thumbsup: Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 6:08 PM, Ken-Hawaii said:

I was really just curious. No rules or regs on blades over here - at least for now - but Hawaii goes crazy over firearms! Linda & I had a very-profitable firearms dealership for 20 years, but once we moved here, there were so many obstacles, that we turned in our Federal Firearms License, after we sold everything off. These days, we shoot high-powered airguns.

Sorry for a slightly off-topic comment, but I thought Ken would enjoy it.

I've just heard from a mate in Tasmania who is helping on Old Gentleman move out of his early 19th century Country Mansion to down-sized accommodation.  My mate is the Mansion-sit guard until settlement and in his words:

"An occasional visitor to the (Country Mansion) shot 16 bunnies with this the other night. Claimed head shots at 40 - 60 metres. He was cleaning them when we arrived."

You can see a bunny at the top of the pic "in preparation for dinner".  Here is a pic of the implement.  Nicest piece I've ever seen in that line!

BaZZa.

43122848_Airrifleforbunnies!!.thumb.jpg.6708c5bd86ec123863b5a637b9c6d497.jpg

• Like 1

Piers,  Your escapade with the gunto, coincidently matches a similar event that happened to me. Rambling around an arms fair my eye was caught by a sword with a leather saya cover and carrying ring that had black tsuka ito on the slightly curved tsuka. The fuchi and kabutogane were in shakudo with gold borders as was the matching tsuba. Rather than the more usual nanako, the shakudo areas were lightly punched with overlapping circles that form 6 pointed star / flower shapes.  Clearly it was very far from being a normal gunto. A bit of feeling through the leather suggested that there was a lot more metalwork on the scabbard tan normal and clearly indicated it was a sword in an old koshirae that had been fitted with the leather cover before being dragged around South East Asia. Accompanying the sword was a plastic bag containing photos, documents and a flag. Although not cheap, waving a bundle of notes persuaded the dealer to drop his asking price a bit, and on impulse I bought it.

I had noted the length of the blade (nagasa 71cm) and having removed the hilt found it had a two character signature that read Tomomitsu 友光. The high shinogi and general appearance suggest it was by a Yamato smith by that name working around 1400.

The related documents contained a document which I had never seen before and which others might find interesting:-

CAPTURED ENEMY WAR MATERIAL - RETENTION CERTIFICATE  185, issued from the General Staff, General Headquarters, India. dated 3 January 1946.

Reference India Army Order 541/45, the retention of (in ink script) 'One Japanese officers sword' as a trophy is hereby authorised. This permit is issued subject to the owner complying with local civil laws in force and must be producednon demand. The retention of any item captured from the enemy without a certificate is published (crossed out in ink and replaced by the word 'prohibited).

It is signed by a Captain Barber (?)  and issued to a Major Findlay.

There is also a photo of a Japanese officer handing over a sword to what looks like an Air commodore.

As the saya turned out to be slightly damaged under the leather and is now being repaired, I will refrain from posting images of the sword until that is done.

Ian Bottomley  

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1

Ian, that story illustrates an earlier comment of yours that there are still plenty of 'finds' to be had, even in the UK alone. But then again, you have the eye, which gives you a serious advantage. :laughing: What you have found sounds amazing from every angle and serves as an example of how high we can aim.

The only thing I can find 'in common' is that we both bought on impulse, perhaps trusting a deeper instinct, and knowing that at this age it doesn't matter if we get it wrong occasionally! The only criticism I can find with your total package (not that any is necessary) is that there seems to be no record of the Japanese officer's name. It would have been a nice addition.

Would love to see photos of anything and everything, whenever you feel comfortable.

よろしく!

Thanks for the airgun info, Barry. My rifle is the .25 Daystate Delta Wolf, https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/daystate-delta-wolf-review-the-start-of-a-saga/ which is sitting in its case until my shoulder surgery heals. Yeah, bunnies at 40-60 meters is easy with his FX or my rifle. We're inundated with roosters behind my house, & a few feral pigs on my rental property. Haven't seen any axis deer lately, but there are 70,000 on Molokai, compared with 7.000 people. Not quite like hunting antelope, elk, & moose in Wyoming, though.

• Thanks 1

Fukuyama Castle in Hiroshima has been gifted with 2,000 steel plates by JFE Steel for the 400th anniversary of the castle's founding. 1619-1622 The north face was considered weak against 'cannon fire', and was originally covered in 鉄板 iron/steel plates, apparently. Unique in Japan.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/2bbcef8ae572d5fcddec336a75ea660599960206

https://tabetainjya.com/archives/cat_19/post_6604/

• Wow 2

On Sunday the polisher finally handed back the late Muromachi Mumei Jumyo Tanto which we discussed here late in 2021.

He had tried out both Sashikomi and Hadori/Kesho on it, and at the sword meeting on the 15th of January we had discussed his potential results with one of the top Togishi in this area. They agreed that the Ji/hada is not strong enough to handle Sashikomi, and that Hadori would work better. I agreed, and that is what the guy has done for me.  He has not gone overboard to bring up the jihada unnecessarily strongly, so I am happy with the results.

(I have replaced the gold dragon kozuka with a more subtle one that suits the overall package better I think.) 

Now the only other project in the wings is a shirasaya + tsunagi being made for the Sukekane Tanto. Just nearing completion, I have heard. The Shirasaya-Shi is also a locksmith and I have asked him to make a working key for a locked and rather the worse-for-wear Tokugawa cabinet/chest I picked up at auction. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news for me at last. The old shirasaya guy who works on koshirae and repairs guns has finally announced that he is putting the finishing touches to the tsunagi and shirasaya that I requested, and he has made a new key for my locking cabinet. "Pick them up on Sunday", he says.

He is in his late 80s and terribly frail, but his whole family still depend upon him for income. Officially he has told people he is out of business now. He has weaknesses in his right arm and both legs, and the demon sake' does not help matters. His health goes up and down like a yoyo, and I hate to push him in any way, but others seem to have no such qualms. He never took apprentices, not for long anyway. When he is gone, I do not know what everyone, his family and customers, will do. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Phone rang and he’s asked for an extra day. So. Sunday plans out the window. Move to Monday. Figured something like this would happen.

Plan

1. Go and pick up acquaintance who has finally gone carless.

2. Have lunch at Katsu-Sen.

3. Drive one hour to Mr N’s place.

4. Pick up goods. Said acquaintance places new request.

5. Head back with goodies.

6. Live happily ever after.

And for those who want the long story ("but keep it short, please"), here is how the plan progressed.

1. Picked up acquaintance and drove to Katsusen for yummy lunch.

2. Drove to Saya-Shi's house to find them all in WURS semi-lockdown.

3. He had started to make the tsunagi and shirasaya, but had given up. "My hands are no good any more", he said sorrowfully, as he handed back my Tanto.

4. "I have made a little key for your cabinet, and it works, but I am not pleased with the result. For my own peace of mind I cannot give it to you yet. Please allow me to make another key, a better one. It will take a few days, but I need to do this." "Of course", I replied. "I am in no hurry."

5. My acquaintance handed over a Tanegashima for some repairs. 

6. We left. I was not really 'empty-handed' because the Tanto came back intact. "You are crazy," said my friend in the car. "Why would you bother making a Shirasaya for a Tanto? No-one else does. And it won't increase the resale value."

Actually it facilitates any display if you have a tsunagi for the koshirae, and the shirasaya can protect the blade in a way that the koshirae won't. I didn't bother to reply. He knows my feelings on this and there's no point in replying if he won't listen. Why did I bother to get NBTHK hozon for it, when he advised against it? Besides, he doesn't want me to keep it. He has plans for after I have let go of it. The merry game continues... :rotfl:

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, John A Stuart said:

It is not the destination; it is the journey. Lucky man. John

This can be said for all of us! :thumbsup:

There's a wonderful Chinese story about the 人間万事塞翁が馬 'Ningen Banji Sai Ou Ga Uma' as it's called in Japanese. Every time the villagers make a judgement on the farmer's next turn of luck they turn out to be wrong, and nothing is as it seems. The farmer's attitude expresses the Dao.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_old_man_lost_his_horse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have sent off the Sukekane 祐包 Tanto to a different artisan for a shirasaya and tsunagi. Let's hope all goes smoothly this time, with no dramas. Something to look forward to.

Sadly our attendance in the March matchlock event in Choshu (Yamaguchi) in the southwest has been scrapped in the light of this sixth wave of rising infections. So our first event this year will be at Tsuyama Castle on the 3rd of April.

On another note I bought a long gun on a gamble, warts and all. It has been a lesson, a recurring lesson, the same lesson that I have not yet learned. Essentially I trusted what the dealer told me without thoroughly following the old check list. Again I ended up with a gun that needs a lot of work and expense, and again I wonder if I am a fool for undertaking such work, or should I just pass this hot potato along? In the past I have always enjoyed the challenge of putting things 'right' and preserving a piece of history, even if others tell me I am stupid.

• Like 3

Well that was last Friday and yesterday he says the Shirasaya and Tsunagi are now ready and to come collect. Yes, of course I am ecstatic, but. It’s the timing, you see. Waaaaaaaay too quick!!!!!

The wife phoned last night to say that she had heard that I made some money on a sale, and could I therefore pay her the £300  I owe her on top of the regular monthly £300 I was planning to send her today. (I didn’t tell her about the £600 for the new garage cover I paid on Monday because it is the same colour and as she is away I figured she will never notice.)

So, all good things come in threes. :laughing:

D93A213C-6F68-49F3-82D9-34DE7982FA95.jpeg

Just to add a word of thanks for the woodwork. Tightly fitting and beautifully finished.

His real passion is for carving Buddhist figures, I hear.

He has just completed a life-like Tsunagi copy of the Heshikiri Hasebe, millimeter accurate, down to the mekugi ana and the tiny Mon on the Habaki. (There should be Twitter shots of it somewhere. Coming soon, if someone does not find them first!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the sword meeting on Saturday night two of the members were invited to show a blade.
One guy brought an iai package of Kazu-Uchi Sukesada in unusual Koshiraé, which he had put together but then thought might actually be overall out of balance and too heavy for him.

Anyway, the Fuchi and Kashira caught my eye. Russet iron with shinchū byō rivets. Has anyone seen anything similar? (He said he had bought the Fuchi-kashira some years ago at a small stall under the railway arches in Kōbé.)

AB52501E-A119-4EEF-B9CE-0E0204C6CE92.thumb.jpeg.a7d4172f3d5651d3a82b7e0d15f9858d.jpeg

2C156F9E-88D3-4D1B-8ACB-EEEB96254C84.thumb.jpeg.ee01290cce030598e971ff32022df31f.jpeg

• Like 1