Edo Period Corner Part II

13 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

Looks promising, a normal saya with shrink fit leather is a good start. Can't wait to see what's under the Tsuka cover and what blade is in there. BTW, do you see many gunto tassels at these fairs?

Good question. Never considered that before. Will keep my eyes open and report back!

(Just on my way to our NBTHK local meeting)

• Like 1

Last night I took it to the local NBTHK meet, and asked if the Sensei would look at it for me. He drew it out, dismantled it and examined the blade and nakago. 「まじめなものです。」"Majime na mono desu." he declared, something like, "nothing suspicious about it".

My sword polisher picked it up, with "Wow, it's heavy!" An iai practitioner reached out for it and swung it gently. "No, this is just the right balance," he said.

Swords from this smith (line of smiths) are said to be sharp, but then that whole area has that reputation. As to the blade itself, it is generally suguha, with a clearly defined boshi. "You are lucky that this one has registration paperwork", someone added.

Coincidentally he had a gunto with him as part of the evening's exercise, containing a Tamba no Kami Yoshimichi with a chrysanthemum stamp in the nakago. (Kyoto)

A few blade shots follow... with luck.

PS Did I mention that I only bought this for the pleasure of the membership? I have not yet decided whether to keep it or release it back into the wild.

• Like 3

The short answer Ken is that it is MUCH safer to obey the law and keep strict control over the correct paperwork. It doesn’t come naturally, but I know several Japanese people who have spent time in prison for getting it wrong. The police will interrogate, and one by one they will pull everyone even remotely involved.

Smaller blades are no problem, as long as you don’t carry them on your person or in your car. Even a fruit knife can get you into trouble. TPO.

Most of the larger blades I’ve owned have come and gone. Now I have only one Yari left, for example, but the blade itself is short enough not to need registration.

Right. The gunto. Registered, so no problem. The original card must remain at all times with the blade.  I borrowed a furoshiki cloth from the dealer, to carry it wrapped up to the parking lot. Then I carried the furoshiki back to the stall. If I’d had an accident on the way home I would have had to explain to any cop that spotted it that I had just bought it and was carrying it straight home. Your story must be clear, and be corroborated with witnesses. Any credible dealer would always be ready to deal with that and back you up. If carrying it for any other purpose the cops would contact the other person to check out your story.

Not sure if this answers your question Ken. In some ways things are easier once everyone knows the rules. Much more paranoia in Europe for example, where there are grey areas galore. Your collection would never be arbitrarily confiscated by the cops in Japan if for example a nosy neighbor decided to shop you as some kind of ‘scary weapons maniac’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Although I haven’t mentioned it above, it has been discussed many times on this site before, but for anyone living here in Japan it is also important to be aware that… 

…the back of the registration card specifies that if you plan to keep an antique blade or gun, you must register your new ownership with the local Board of Education by post within three weeks of purchase.

• Like 1

I was really just curious. No rules or regs on blades over here - at least for now - but Hawaii goes crazy over firearms! Linda & I had a very-profitable firearms dealership for 20 years, but once we moved here, there were so many obstacles, that we turned in our Federal Firearms License, after we sold everything off. These days, we shoot high-powered airguns.

How about training in iaido or kenjutsu? I assume that pretty much any bladed weapon has registration requirements, but do you have to carry around paperwork?

Piers, that has a lot going for it, and no matter how much you downplay it...it's a lovely piece that most of us would like to own.
As far as the Gunto aspect, you have great quality fittings. Has a nice civilian habaki. Has a mon. And I daresay upgraded high class seppa. And then you add an older blade in good condition. What more could you want? It's the whole package.
And......a big AND....You can see that Gunto are the sword investment of the future in Japan. We can already see how prices have risen.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for all the free feedback. Actually, one option was to smack myself in the face, say "Wake up!" and wave goodbye to it quick sticks.

This blade did offer options, which is one of the reasons that I bought it. Another option was/is to send it off for Hozon.

It has turned out to be a great learner piece. Massive thanks to those who have kindly commented. :thumbsup:

You have a nice Shinto blade in it's last ever set of user mounts,.... if they were ever such cheap Edo mounts you would have no second thoughts, but would value it for what it is. The last man to carry it in earnest was proud to be one of the "Emperors chosen companions" which was the official designation for a member of the IJA (as I understand it).

The fact that it is all together after all these years tells you something about the regard in which its last legitimate owner held it.

I would hang on  to it, and I am not alone in my opinion.

• Like 1