2012 NCJSC San Francisco To-ken Taikai

I know that Mike Y kinda got us started but wanted to go ahead and create a thread for those who are attending, those who want to post photos or reviews and those who are wishing they were here!

http://Www.ncjsc.org

The schedule of events is up, dealer registration is this afternoon, lots of guests in from out of town so this is promising to be a very good year.

For those on Facebook look for us under the 2012 NCJSC San Francisco To-ken Taikai - "like" us and let us know if you're coming!

See you all there!

-t

I had a great time at the show. Saturday afternoon was as busy as I've seen a show in a long time. Mark Jones & I (we share a table) did very well selling and I was able to buy gobs of great books (this was an exceptional show for books). Displays put on by NTHK and NBTHK/AB were 1st rate and there were lots of fine blades and kodogu to see in the show room.

And if that weren't enough, Friday night after the show, on a hand of Gentleman's Poker (5 cards, no draw, nothing wild, 1 bet) I was dealt a full house and 2 other guys at the table were dealt 3 of a kind. Thank you poker Gods.

Grey

Yes, thank you indeed poker Gods. :cry:

And the show was superb. Well-attended and more high-level blades for sale than I remember compared to the last few years. Several juyo and other fine pieces were out front on tables and accessible rather than under tables or behind glass. Too much to see for only two days.

here are a few mediocre pictures:

A tsuba made by Miyamoto Mushashi:

Token002.jpg

Blades by Koto era Gassan and Gassan Sadakatsu:

Token028.jpg

Some papered nihonto:

Token008.jpg

Token030.jpg

Some cute bunnies:

Token031.jpg

Yoshihara Family blades:

Token004.jpg

Osoraku tanto by Yoshindo Yoshihara:

Token006.jpg

Yoshindo Yoshihara inspects the tanto I made at Dragonfly Forge (is that a nod of approval?):

Token018.jpg

Great pics, thanks.

The following review sent to me by an anonymous lurker :)

The 2012 San Francisco Japanese Sword Show, Aug. 3-5 at the SF airport Marriott Hotel, was a huge success. Sponsored by the Northern California Japanese Sword Club, and organized by Fred Weissberg and Mike Krause, the show tables were completely sold out (oversubscribed, in fact) and the room was bustling with activity all three days. Most of the North American sword-collecting community was in attendance, and there were attendees from England, France, Japan, Germany, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. There were many swords and fittings on display, including a number of Juyo items and one or two Tokubetsu Juyos. Tsuruta-san from Aoi-Art brought Juyo Enju, Aoe and Ichimonji pieces, and a striking Hizen daisho that once belonged to the Mori family. Yoshindo Yoshihara displayed some of his work, and his new book (with Lonnie Kapp) which has superb illustrations. Gordon Robson organized a kantei exercise on Friday. Jim Gilbert gave a lecture/demonstration on fine iron tsuba on Saturday. Also on Saturday, sponsored by the NBTHK American Branch, Mike Yamasaki and Bob Benson lectured and displayed a fabulous collection of intact koshirae, including Juyo mounts from the Muromachi and Momoyama periods – museum pieces even in Japan! Table-holders were treated to dinner on Friday and Saturday nights. For sword afficionados, it was the best possible way to spend a weekend, an opportunity to greet old friends and make new ones, a chance perhaps to exchange old toys for new, and the best possible venue for learning about these exotic things. Our thanks to the show organizers and support staff. See you there next year!

As a new comer to the world of Nihonto, I was very fortunate to be able to attend on Friday. The opportunity to look over the multitude of amazing literature, displays, items for sale still has me smiling and absorbing. I was also able to meet (face to face) some of the dealers and individuals that have been kind enough to help with my ongoing education. Having the opportunity to interact with gracious stewards such as Andy Quirt was in and of itself worth the price of airfare.

My only regret....... was not being able to stay longer. Next year I think I will plan on being there for the duration. :)

Cheers,

Sam

This year's S.F. Token Kai was indeed spectacular! There were an abundance of incredible fittings, koshirae and swords for the viewing and purchase. Some interesting pieces came in the door from the public, sparking a lot of interest among some of the dealers. As Grey mentioned, there were a number of interesting and rare books for sale, and overall, everyone was fairly willing to work with the buyers on the purchase price. The food was great, the interaction and learning opportunities stellar, and kudos to Fred and Mike for another great show, as always. It was especially nice to have Robert Hughes, and his artisan friends in attendance, along with Tsuruta-san. This show set the bar higher. I can't wait to attend next year's show. Bravo!!!

Hope to see some of the same faces at this year's Dai token Ichi.

Best regards,

Bill E. Sheehan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..