Imitation Tanegashima

Let´s talk matchlock. It was awhile ago :D A friend in Japan who knows I´m into matchlocks sent me some pictures of a matchlock I guess is in Japan.

Has a mei on the outside of the gun. I think the spring had been replaced, looks a bit "sharp" on the edges. A bit unusual muzzle. I don´t know the length but it looks fairly short. Age? Style? Translation of the mei?

Thanks guys!

Jan

post-2890-14196838682923_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-14196838690263_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-14196838698081_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-14196838705203_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-1419683877707_thumb.jpeg

Dear Jan,

In my opinion this is a modern Japanese forgery, ... not even a replica but a FORGERY. To call it a Replica is far too kind in my opinion.

1. The bulb shape at the muzzle looks to be machine ( lathe ) turned, .. in fact I believe I can see the cutting lines.

2. Front sight has file marks and is too squared off to my eye.

3. The match holder on the serpentine looks like it was soldered to the serpentine arm.

4. I see NO chisel marks in the signature leading me to believe it was engraved.

5. The main spring also has file marks, squared edges, and too thick to be an original.

6. The Amaooi ( barrel protector ) is a dead give away for either a replacement or in this case a fraud. I have never seen such a poorly shaped, thin, ill fitted amaooi as this example. It is laughable.

7. The barrel top with brass band fits way too low for where it meets the wooden stock. This was never done.

8. The patina on the brass butt protector appears to be fake and artificially applied.

... Ron Watson

Got a quick reply from my guy in Japan. He found the pictures on a auctionsite. But it was clearly marked "Imitation gun".

:phew: my trust in the old Japanese people is restored.

My friend found it was very funny. He actually thought it was a very well made replica. He also said most genuine teppos sold in Japan is almost always full of rust, because of damp conditions and poor management of previous owners.

Well, problem sorted!

/Jan

Just ran a search on the inscription Taiyo Juki Sei 太洋銃機製 Manufactured by "Ocean Guns" and came up with a couple of blogs, where it is referred to in Japanese as a 'replica'. Genuine working replicas are illegal in Japan, so we can guess they are decorations or toys. The company used to make legal air rifles until the laws were stiffened; these matchlocks were what they made until they went bust, according to the blurb. The blog writer says he collects Taiyo Juki Sei guns!

http://takazaka-enokino.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2012-01-29

Dear Piers,

I think you are being too kind saying this is just a DECORATION or TOY. The addition of a patina to various parts including the brass and rust spots on the barrel would lead one to suspect this was an attempt at passing this off as genuine to some unsuspecting European or North American buyer ( someone not able to read the Kanji ). I hate replica anything and I particularily hate fraudsters. At least according to Jan, .. the Japanese friend states that the seller in this case listed the gun as IMITATION. Curious item and circumstances ?? I wonder what the opening bid was set at ??

... Ron Watson

Split this one into its own topic, as I thought it interesting info, especially since we haven't seen imitation guns discussed here. I skipped over most of the give-aways..didn't even look carefully, as we are all used to looking only at fake swords. Good to remember there are imitation firearms too.

Brian

Thank you Ron for the additional clarification. You are absolutely correct, and I feel the same way.

I was looking at this from a slightly different angle. This 'gun' was relatively easier to spot, so I called it a decoration or toy. What bothers me more is the quality of some of the better fakes out there, for reasons which I will not go into here.

Incidentally the first thing one needs to check is whether there is a vent channel from the pan into the chamber. Yes, then in Japan it must be registered. No, and you have a decoration.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..