MINATOGAWA SHRINE SWORDS

katanako

A friend of mine and I collect some really nice gendaitos. He has 2 of the nicest Minatogawa Jinja (Shrine) swords in existence. One looks like it was made, presented, and kept in a closet and never saw the light of day! Two of them have the Kikusui emblem on the habaki; mine is in civilian mounts and doesn't have the emblem on the habaki. However, all 3 have the Kikusui mon on the tang.

The makers were Masataka, Masanaga (Masakiyo), and Masanao. Two years ago, we went to Kobe together and visited the Minatogawa Shrine and bought talismen which we affixed to our swords.

I just can't remember the last time I've seen one of these for sale. They are rare in perfect/mint condition.

HENRY

post-560-14196838409583_thumb.jpg

post-560-1419683841338_thumb.jpg

Hi Henry. I have one that has the kikusui on both the nakago and the habaki. It is made by Masatada. I don't have pics to post right now, but found a couple of others made by this smith and here are some links:

http://www.jp-sword.com/files/blade/masatada.html

http://www.japanesesword.com/Images/Swo ... _by_ma.htm

This maker's swords are very fine and very rare since he died prematurely.

I bought it along with a collection and don't really collect gendai swords (although I have ended up with several very fine ones), so I might be willing to part with it. I see them go in the $7500 range and up, and this one is in excellent condition. Cheers, Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the enticing offer! But one Masatada is enough for me. I used to have a secret stash and I thought I was clever...keeping $$$$ hidden. But my wife knew all about it. One day, I went crawling to her, saying that I needed a sword fix...and she said, "Why are you crawling to me? You have $$$$ in your gun box in the garage!!! Sheesh...use that!!!"

Oh yes...I remember the pics from that web site. Alfred Tan, right? I was salivating over that one, then it was sold.

You won't have any problems unloading your Masatada and I hope you find it a nice home.

HENRY

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..