- Australia records 10th straight day of no local COVID-19 cases
- Tokyo reports 973 new coronavirus cases; nationwide tally 3,965
- Suga apologizes after LDP execs visit hostess bars during state of emergency
- IOC, Tokyo Olympics to unveil rule book for beating pandemic
- Global COVID-19 cases surpass 100 million as nations tackle vaccine shortages
- NZOC chief says some athletes may skip Tokyo Olympics: Radio NZ
- Starbucks' recovery solid in China, still slow in the U.S.
- Police shoot knife-wielding man outside Yokohama apartment
- Los Angeles, fans remember Kobe Bryant one year after deadly crash
- Man City back on top of Premier League; Arsenal gain revenge on Southampton
Status Updates posted by Japanese matchlock
- Show previous comments 2 more
Also there is a semi circle, half horseshoe or U decoration is that gold leaf or what?
Sorry for the absence. Just woken up. ‘Ohio’ gozaimasu!
Yes, many Zogan decorations were added after the Bakumatsu and Into Meiji to appeal to Western buyers, unemployed artisans looking for work. Rather than gold you will find silver, copper and Shinchū (brass) were used. I agree that those ones are a bit of a mystery! It has been said that back in the day a military gun should not have any (or strictly minimal) decoration along the barrel.