Akasaka?

Dick Tait

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5387&p=42178&hilit=akasaka#p42178

Pete's Yashima one-

entry says 3rd gen mainline master specifically to Tadatora

Under the umbrella of 'ko-akasaka'.

Tokubetsu Hozon.

They say Mid Edo, though Tadatora is believed to have spanned 'late' early edo into 'early' mid edo. As per Jim's website, conservative call seems to be 'early Mid Edo'.

Good morning all,

I believe there is an allegorical Folk tale (originating in China....) about a praying mantis attempting to stop a carriage wheel.

The tale goes the mantis angrily stretches out its arms, to arrest the progress of the carriage, unconscious of its inability for such a task, but showing how much it thinks of its own powers.

It can be interpreted as be on your guard; be careful.

Or if you cherish a boastful confidence in your own excellence, and place yourself in collision with a greater force, you are likely to incur the fate of the mantis.

Cheers

I am adding this I thought I sort of recognized this tsuba- this is a tsuba previously posted by that guy Shan (was he banished?) and old posting is on it out there titled Post subject: What is this then?

Just to confirm though it is a mantis and wheel pertaining to the chinese legend of the chariot and mantis. It is a very common akasaka design although the wheel has changed a bit over the years. If I like it a lot, you may have to sell it to me. (didn't everyone get the memo on the mantis dude's right to first refusal?). But I won't evoke my right to purchase. Enjoy it. Just figured I confirm what most of you were saying in spite of silly things like a bell insect....Mantis rule!!!!!!

for the full legend you can see it on my website http://kamakiriken.webs.com/index.htm under Japanese symbolism section

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..