2012 Tampa Japanese Sword Show

The dates for the 2012 Tampa Japanese Sword Show are now posted as February 10th, 11th, and 12th, 2012.

I attended this show last February, and I must say that I not only had a great time, but it was well organized with good public attendance. It is also open to dealers of militaria, asian art, as well as many other types of antique arms from around the world.

It has also been announced on their site that the show will host an NTHK Shinsa.

Further details regarding the show, hotel accomodations, tables, and Shinsa information can be seen at: http://www.tampajapaneseswordshow.com/

Jon -

We are indeed still having the NTHK Shinsa at the Tampa Show - Uncle Al Bardi is doing a great job promoting his event and ours - we anticipate a very successful weekend to rival the recent San Francisco Shinsa - I personally am looking forward to meeting our East Coast cousins and enjoying several days of productive sword study.

Hope you all can make it,

-t

• 2 months later...

This year show was really great and I enjoyed myself greatly. I was allowed to start matching faces with names outside of my local Japanese sword club of Maryland and Northern Virginia. I am very much looking forward to this show in early 2012 and will be submitting something to the NTHK shinsa as well.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

• 4 months later...

Dear All -

Nows the time to make your plans for Super Bowl Sunday and the upcoming Tampa Sword Show, only two months away now. Reservations for the 2012 NTHK Shinsa are coming in briskly and we suggest that you send yours in now before year-end business takes up all your time.

It is possible to get slots at the last minute but not for the most coveted times, so be sure and register now!

We have attached the reservation forms for your convenience. If you have questions please visit the FAQ page on our website; http://www.toryu-mon.com

Hoping to see you all there,

-t

2012Reservation.doc

2012flyer.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I just booked my flight and hotel room for the Tampa Japanese Sword Show and NTHK Shinsa. I will be there from 11:00 AM on Saturday, February 11 until 3:00 PM Sunday, February 12. I am hoping to attend the Q & A section on Sunday as I will be submitting a tsuba for NTHK Shinsa on Sunday morning. I will also be touching base with some longtime American collectors at the show. Would be great if I could also meet some people who often post to the Nihonto Message Board that would be great. I will be bringing four tsuba including the one I am going to submit to Shinsa for discussion. Thanks and happy holidays.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Good day all,

I plan on bringing 2 blades for shinsa and have a question about condition.

See this link for the older blade and notice some chips and a small de-lamination.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8125

The other blade has a slight double bend but has no other defects.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8185

So my question is; can these blades still be examined by the team and possibly papered?

If the consensus is positive then I will reserve a spot pronto.

Thank you, (and Merry Christmas)

Alan -

Very tough call. Thin temper accompanied by prominent hada and dry looking nakago would suggest to me saiha (re-temper). You would not get a certificate in that case. Of course looking at photos can be a real guessing game.

We welcome all submissions but would not want anyone to spend money needlessly. Perhaps those additional photos you spoke of would be helpful.

-t

Hi Alan,

From my experience I found the pink paper from the NTHK very informative so I would just submit it and see what the shinsa team says. If it passes great if it doesn't then you will still learn more about the Nihonto you have. I am saying this as it looks like both Nihonto are in good polish. Hope to see you at the show.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

• 3 weeks later...

Just two weeks away folks!

Our thanks to all who registered early, reservation confirmations have all been sent out. For those of you not going to Indianapolis to see the 49ers crush the Patriots there is still time to register your items and still a few slots left.

Florida here we come!

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder for all you last minute travellers -

Registration for shinsa slots closes on Wednesday, after that you will have to fight for a slot at the show, which is not always convenient.

If you think you will need a spot or have questions please email us now; NTHK2012@toryu-mon.com

cheers,

-t

Tom,

I have submitted for Shinsa slots in Tampa and see that my check cashed for these slots. However, I have not received any additional follow-ups for the Shinsa - no reservations, tickets, correspondence, etc. In the past I have received these. I'm also not sure when my Shinsa slots are as I have not heard back. Should I be planning to just show up and check in with the Shinsa when I get there? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

Matt -

Reservation confirmations went out the first week in January. I had one other person whose reservation went missing in the cybersphere. I will re-send your reservation once I get home tonight - please check your junkmail in case it gets directed there. I will also send it from my work address just in case.

If anyone else has experienced this problem please let me know and I will investigate,

-t

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank Gordon Robson and Tom Helm for helping me get my "American Pickers" sword through the Tampa Shinsa. What an amazing experience to have the koshirae paper to Mino Ju Mitsunaka and then have it's out of polish blade get an attribution to swordsmith Darani Katsukuni! Great fun indeed.

Thank You,

Howard Dennis

I tried posting pictures but nothing happened, twice!

The reason I called it my "American Pickers" sword was because it was on the December 19th 2011 episode of that show and I tracked down Frank Fritz and purchased the sword from him a week before the Tampa Shinsa.

Howard Dennis

Really!! Must watch more TV. That is a fun show when I've seen it. Did they let you have for a "picker's" price??

Posting pix... down load from your digital camera to computer; trim, edit, color adjust, etc.; make sure size is within NMB standards [they are pretty loose] then upload in area below message composing area. If problems refer to directions at top of board, or, more fun cause he has nothing to do, post e-mail to Brian. LOL

I had problems the 1st couple of times then .... all good, tho my sword pix do not measure up to the quality of Darcy and others... A learning process.

good luck! doug

Thanks I did everything just as I always do and it just won't work here so I may just send to Brian.

Funny you should mention the price. I've always thought these guys sell a little low just so the seller won't be too upset and sell in the future. In my case what was quoted on screen rose over $400.00 when I went to buy it, still happy though.

Howard Dennis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..