New shipping regulations has anyone heard about this?

I just received this message from someone who sells from Japan. Has anyone else heard about this?

This is a note to AMERICAN customers only. If you are not living in the US, please disregard this notice.

Hi Friends,

I went to the post office today, and was informed that, due to new US anti-terrorism law, effective immediately all EMS, SAL and other small package services over 400g (anything bigger than a tsuba or kozuka) are no longer available.

The only service now available is seamail. The good news is that it will cost you less!! But of course, it will take longer to receive your items.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and I hope we can continue to do business together.

Humm,

Typical Liberal knee jerk reaction to a situation. Instead of dealing with the cause in an effective way, .... inconvenience everyone else.

I am far from being a Communist, ... but I do ADMIRE the Chinese way of dealing with the perpetrators of serious crime. But Oh, ... what would keep our Lawyers and Politicians ( basically the same bottom feeders ) in Juyo Class Swords, and Mercedes if it weren't for Terrorists, Murders, Rapists, and Drug Dealers ??? Delete my post if you have problems with the Political Correctness, ... enough will agree with me and will have read, ... and I would be insulted if anyone were to consider me Politically Correct.

... Ron Watson

I do not know if this is actually happening or if the person who sent me this notice has just misunderstood some aspect of a new regulation. I could not find any info online so far and was hoping that someone here might know exactly what if any shipping changes have recently taken place.

Ron,

I think first we need to determine if this is the actual situation currently...which I highly doubt. :lol:

It would put EMS out of business, and even though the TSA etc are not too worried nowdays, inconveniencing the entire US population this much as far as importing anything goes..is highly unlikely. Stopping any airmail at all? I don't think so...that would be something so far out of line it would cripple many industries.

Nah..let's wait to see the real story. Someone has their wires crossed.

Brian

There is no official statement regarding a change in policy from the USPS on their site. There is however a notation on the JP Post site.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/inform ... ry_en.html

This may be a modification of policy for JP Post only and unrelated to US policy. Fed Ex is still a viable (yet expensive) alternative to Sea Mail. Given the Yen/Dollar exchange rate lately, Sea Mail looks better and better all the time. :|

A limited option to look into would be Yamato Transport aka "Kuroneko (Black Cat)". They won't ship swords, art, antiques, or precious metals, but would still be good for items like books.

I think we'll have to wait a bit and see what happens over the next few days. :dunno:

I've just checked HK Post to see if there is any news and found this.

Press Release issued on 15 November 2010

Air Mail Services to the United States of America

Hongkong Post announced today (November 15) that due to heightened aviation security measures taken by the United States of America (USA) concerning mail transportation to the country, all air mail services (including Speedpost) from Hong Kong to the USA are subject to delay until further notice.

http://www.hongkongpost.com/eng/publica ... /index.htm

Sorry folks. Here's the official press release (in Japanese) from Japan Post confirming this new shipping regulations

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/whats_new/ ... 02_c01.pdf

On November 12, 2010 Japan Post made an announcement of new shipping restrictions to the USA. Recently, Twitter et al. has been ablaze with news of this announcement, and there seems to be some mis-information being passed around.

The Truth:

The restrictions basically state that in order to thwart terrorist activities, packages 453 grams (16 ounces) or heavier being shipped via aircraft to the US and its territories will not be accepted starting November 17, 2010 (tomorrow) continuing for an unforeseen period.

Shipping methods affected:

Standard Airmail

Small Parcel Airmail

Standard SAL

Small Parcel SAL

EMS

So What?

What does this restriction mean for you personally? As an individual shipping from Japan to the USA, you will have to chose another shipping method (ie. seamail) if your package weighs 453 grams or more.

Does anyone know if these restrictions apply only between Japan and the USA or does it apply to all USA imports.

If it is only between Japan and the USA then nothing stops you from shipping the item from Japan to Europe for example, and then forward it to the USA (a little more expensive but better than sending your Juyo via sea).

Paul.

Does anyone know if these restrictions apply only between Japan and the USA or does it apply to all USA imports.

If it is only between Japan and the USA then nothing stops you from shipping the item from Japan to Europe for example, and then forward it to the USA (a little more expensive but better than sending your Juyo via sea).

Paul.

My understanding is that this is part of DHS (Department of Homeland Security) action plan to address (temporary?) the explosives uncovered in air freight several weeks ago. Once a plan is in place to scan and or ensure safety of the packages/crew, this is the only option you have from any point of interest on this big blue marble.

I receive the same thing(Except my thread was deleted instead of moved)

Thank you for your bidding on this item.

But please note we can no longer ship items over 4oz to USA. Therefore, we can only ship one small item, Tsuba or Kozuka etc (no combine, no Koshirae, no sword)

Japan Government announced that all EMS, SAL parcel, Fedex over 4oz (except documents) will not be accepted from tomorrow. This is due to recent terrorism in USA.

We are very sorry for this short notice and inconvenience.

If this is true and it seems so, I will re-route it from here, Canada, if theses restrictions are not applicable from here. Insurance and postage only, but, no re-wrap. Re-addressed and forwarded only. I would have to check cost of postage for type of post required and receive that remittance prior to post. At least ground mail would be quicker if this is the only recourse than a slow boat across the Pacific. It might expedite things. John

Good Morning All,

This morning I spoke with my local US Post Office Manager. There is a statement that she received this morning that details this concern. It seems that the issue regards *all* international personal/private shipments and not shipments from established businesses as long as that business has been established more than 30 days and provides the necessary documents, with the exception that all shipments from Yemen and Somalia are refused. There were some other details, and I am following up on this matter during the day. I will post more here as I find out.

Certainly this doesn't help matters with private international sales, and it still makes things quite difficult between businesses and individuals on other levels. A situation of concern would be returning goods to a business from a private individual even if going to the same originating business address. As a private individual, they would not qualify to ship the item back and would have to ship by an acceptable method.

More to follow as it develops, I'm sure.

If this is true and it seems so, I will re-route it from here, Canada, if theses restrictions are not applicable from here. Insurance and postage only, but, no re-wrap. Re-addressed and forwarded only. I would have to check cost of postage for type of post required and receive that remittance prior to post. At least ground mail would be quicker if this is the only recourse than a slow boat across the Pacific. It might expedite things. John

Hi John,

Some of the details included not allowing packages that are transitory or transferred between international origins and destination as well. Again more on this as I find out.

Does anyone know if this applies to packages outgoing from the US or only to incoming packages?

Rich S

Hi Rich,

The statment the P.O. Manager read to me wasn't clear on this part, but I'd hazard a guess at this point that outbound private/personal shipments are inclusive in the policy if they are international.

Dear Members,

I was somewhat chastised for .. " ranting " .. by Grey and Jean, ... Well my dear fellows you had better soon do some " ranting " of your own, .... whether you want the study of Nihonto to be free of political interference or not matters little. It is a FACT. At the rate Governments in lets see now, ... the UK ( sword bans ), ... Australia ( sword restrictions in some areas ), Ireland ( sword bans ), ... proposed Legislation to prohibit importation of double edged blades in more than a few Countries, and ACTUAL LAW in some US States, .... and NOW this restriction on International Air Mail to the USA .... you had better bloody well get your heads out of the sand or you will have nothing to study but BOOKS ( and these if over the allowable weight will be riding the waves as well ). Unless people ( meaning YOU and me ) begin to take action in speaking .... no call it " ranting " at our respective members of Government you will have nothing of interest to post on the NMB for its purpose of " being " will no longer exist. Now when these mis-understood non-political bomb makers notice it is just as easy to sabotage a ship with a explosives how does one ship then ??? Well there I go again ... ranting.

... Ron Watson

I agree with Ron. This does not have to be a political left or right bashing, but it does have to do with politics and law in the purest form. If you want something done, you must tell those elected. Left right middle doesn't matter, you have to speak up. That is not political in a negative way, but political in a pure non biased way. If you have feelings about something it is your right and/or duty to let you voice be heard. I will be contacting my representatives this week. You have a choice also. sit idly by and say nothing or say something. Your choice to do either.

I agree this makes some uncomfortable, and yet I also know that we have to be careful about what we watch while it happens. This forum is not about the USA and it's laws, but enough people are affected that I am not deleting the existing posts which echo some of my feelings. That being said...I think enough has been said about it now, and will delete any further posts not related directly to the topic at hand. Fair warning..

Brian

Okay, I stopped by the P.O. on my way home from the dentist. This apparently does *not* affect international shipments outbound from the U.S., only incoming shipments. I was told that this new policy was to take effect on November 18th, and should be temporary. Businesses (under the aforemetioned guidlines) are still allowed to ship, however if the shipment is to be transported on a passenger craft, the captain ultimately holds the final word of approval for the shipment. The details are still a bit vague, but this is the latest info I could obtain. I'm not sure why Japan is pre-emptively refusing shipments if the U.S. policy does not take effect until November 18th. My guess is that it likely has more to do with Japan Air Lines which is the outbound transporter for Japanese originated EMS packages. They're very hypersensative and started the trouble with shipping swords by EMS two years ago that continues today, thus requiring alternative carriers or sea mail.

To All, I forgot to consider, that if a sword is sent to Canada to be re-directed by me one must consider that taxes are applicable. If over 100 years old there is no duty, but still a 7% GST and a small broker fee. After that US customs would again charge their duty as it leaves Canada and enter the US. This may make one reconsider if this would make the process of any worth. Sorry guys, I should have thought of this earlier. John

This somewhat contradictory message on JAC :

Nov 17, 2010:

Japan Post restriction for parcels weighing 453 grams or more to the U.S.: Since Japan Auction Center already has a service contract with Japan Post, this restriction is NOT valid for us but for individuals and companies without a contract.

So, we continue to ship to the U.S. up to 30kg as usual.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..