Aging mumei wak?

Just a general question about the age of a wakisashi in general...if one has an "oldish" looking mumei wak, can he believe it is older, say 1800s or earlier? Were waks made and used in WWII era? I never heard this topic discussed before? Thanks in advance for any info! O-Yumi (John W.)

Wakizashi are less common in modern times, if that is what you are asking..?

Also you may want to add your real first name and initial per the board rules. If not me someone else would have brought it to your attention.

Regards,

O-Yumi,

I've got a wakizashi that I believe was used in WW2 and is some what new. I posted a few pics of this sword last year for some help with the translation. I think it is signed by "SukeKuni". The blade appears to be oil quenched and is mounted in antique fittings. The saya looks like its wrapped in burlap and is painted (lacquered?) black. My photography skills are poor at best, so I apologize for the low quality photos. The gentleman that I purchased this from claimed that this wakizashi was indeed brought back from WW2. Just wish I could offer some better pictures.

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/treve ... t=3&page=1

I don't doubt that it was brought back from WWII as this is mounted for the war, but I highly doubt this is WWII age. I checked Sukekuni on nihontoclub.com and here is what I found - only two smiths using that "suke" kanji.

http://nihontoclub.com/smiths/SUK706

http://nihontoclub.com/smiths/SUK709

If I were guessing age, I'd guess shinshinto, so that would point me to the first listed, but given the second - from Kanbun - is of some repute, gimei is not out of the question. Also, the guess is just that, Kanbun is not completely out of the picture.

I'm sure someone more versed in Shinto/shinshinto could be of more assistance.

Edit: Also, I doubt oil quenched, but looks like its just out of polish - and may be a beauty when in polish.

Hi, me again...I got this wak sans tsuka, tsuba, saya, and other fittings (blade only) at a local auction. It looks rather old and I'll have to get a "window" polished to determine any more about it since it is unsigned. I'll post photos when I get that done. Just wondering how prevalent waks were in the 20th century? Thanks again, John W.

Joe,

Thank you for your input, Joe. I haven't researched this blade much at all since I've had it. You are probably right. I'll start looking into it.

John,

Even with your wakizashi being in a poor state of polish, if you post a pic of the entire blade, a close up of the nakago and one of the kissaki, some of the members here might be able to give you a general idea of what you have there. Depending on the condition of the blade, someone may be able to pin down what period it was made in anyway. Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..