Strange Question...

Hi Everyone,

I'm back from my two week honeymoon in Japan and still recovering from the jet-lag. I been doing some research on the Internet this afternoon on a new item added to my collection that was acquired in Tokyo. I have not be able to find a list of the former presidents of the NBTHK. The time period I am most interested in the early seventies around 1970. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

From Dean Hartley's papers: http://home.comcast.net/~colhartley/Ori ... praisa.htm

This is from 1965:

"Currently the two foremost living authorities on Japanese swords are at the Museum. These are Dr. Junji Homma, president of the NBTHK, and Dr. Kanzan Sato."

Dr. Homma was still Chairman in 1976 from the introduction to, 'Nippon To The Japanese Sword", Japan Society, NY.

Therefore he was most likely the head of the NBTHK at the time you reference.

Hi Pete K.,

Thanks for the quick reply and the information. For the English title of chairmen is the Japanese title kaicho (會長) used? Was their a chairmen of the NBTHK with a surname of Hosokawa (細川) in 1970?

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Hi Pete K.,

Thanks for the correction of my grammar. Yes being a dues paying member of the NBTHK has its uses. Just sent my question to a director who I am on good terms with and has helped me before.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

could be the head of a Shinsa group in which case kaicho could be appropos

in Kendo and Iaido the head of the event (taikai) would be referred to as Kaicho (event boss) usually but not always chief judge - and rarely will this same person be the head of the federation involved...

-t

Dear Tom H.,

You might be right. I did a quick search of "NBTHK Tokubetsu Kicho" using Google Images and found a few examples of both swords and fittings with similar papers issued in the late 1960s with the additional line. It is different then the one discussed here: http://www.nihontocraft.com/japanese_sword_papers.html#japanese_sword_2 dated 1974. Below is a scan of my paper with what I am referring to. The additional line is to the left and starts with kaicho (會長).

Yours truly,

David Stiles

post-1126-1419686522301_thumb.jpg

Hi Markus S., and Guido S.,

Thanks so much for replies and additional information. I was sure the information was some where on the NBTHK website in Japanese. The date on my paper is 1970 which makes sense. I wasn't questioning the authenticity as I puchased tsuba along with the paper from Ginza Choshuya (http://www.choshuya.co.jp/) which has a very good reputation I just never noticed this difference in some of the early NBTHK papers. I will post some photographs of the tsuba in the other forum when I get a chance to take them. This will likely be over the weekend.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..