Strange ads appearing ????

Brian

Some weeks ago I experienced a similar problem but managed to resolve it. This however prompts me to ask what might appear to many to be a couple of naive questions.

When I log on with my user name, my email address appears momentarily. Can others on line at the same time see this too? Likewise, when I browse my files can others see what I'm doing?

Why I ask is that my email address is known only to a handful of people and I never receive spam, yet lately I've had quite a bit.

Brian, this really is an excellent forum and I have gleaned a tremendous amount from it and hope that you don't mind me asking something so very basic.

Mick

Nope. Email addresses are hidden from public view and cannot be accessed by anyone besides admin staff.

Only if you post it publicly in a topic.

No, no-one can view your files or access any private info at all.

I sympathise. I am suddenly getting over 100 spam emails a day. But it isn't from the forum. Just too many other ways for them to harvest emails and companies love selling email lists nowdays.

Brian

Indeed probably not the forum but how do you explain that at times in the small list of people online (users browsing this forum) on the bottom of the page the words Google.bot are seen ?

KM

How else do you think pages are indexed by search engines?

How are you able to find the content of the forum by doing a search?

Search engines are forever visiting and indexing forums by sending "bots" to index the pages and add the contents to the engines.

I choose not to hide them (some of them) and that's why you see bots listed as visiting the forum. They cannot access anything you cannot, they just add the contents of the forum to Google search and others.

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..