Sharing my Armor Compilations

Herbie Husker

Hello - I thought I would post some pictures for your review of my armor that I have aquired over the last couple of years.

I realize from a purist point of view this may not be the best way to display and that each piece might be better to stand on its own but I have enjoyed the process and it makes me smile every day I look at them.

I naturally started with the Kabuto (most important) that appealed to me and added the Menpo and Maedate.

I'm new to collecting so any advice/comments positve or negative would be welcome.

Thank you,

Kevin

post-4751-141968958061_thumb.jpeg

post-4751-14196895807203_thumb.jpeg

post-4751-14196895808452_thumb.jpeg

post-4751-14196895809848_thumb.jpeg

Kevin, That is a very nice dragon maedate you have. It has come off something rather good. On the other helmet, have a look at the kamon on the fukigayeshi - looks like active verdigris. I would try and clean them to stop it spreading. A little vegetable oil wiped on and off again should stop it getting worse and will do no damage to the lacquer underneath.

Ian Bottomley

Thank you Ian.

Great advice on the kamon Ill apply some vegetable oil tonight.

The helmets are not in the best of condition but they fell within my budget and I can enjoy the history and artistry as is.

If you know of any way to perhaps stop the peeling of lacquer both inside and outside without altering the value that would be great. I'm sure restoration can be very expensive and a positve return on investment difficult to realize.

The dragon maedate is a wonderful piece to have and appreciate but I dont have any information on its history other than that it could be older than Edo times. For all I know it was made last week but I like it and it looks great on display.

Your time and expertise is appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin

Kevin, Peeling lacquer is a nightmare. The proper Japanese way to deal with it is to force new lacquer under it and clamp it down. The problem with that is, it dried around the edge and remains fluid inside for ever and a day. I use superglue. It is fluid enough to run underneath and you can then hold the flake down until it hardens. Take care not to get any on top of the lacquer.

Ian Bottomley

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..