Northeast Japanese Sword Show (Philadelphia, PA) Oct. 17-19

Dear Friends,

I am sure that by now many of you have heard that the Baltimore Show was canceled. Renovations at our chosen hotel, The Hunt Valley Inn, were continuing into our time block and other acceptable dates were not available. I have been searching diligently since then to come up with an alternate location and am pleased to announce that the

Northeast Japanese Sword Show will take place at the Philadelphia Airport Marriott in October 17-19, 2014.

This airport location directly off terminal B, mirrors the Tampa show, but has a larger ballroom space that will allow the show to grow.

For this year we have contracted for 3/4 of the ballroom or 7500 s.f. of space more than 1000 s.f. larger than Tampa. The shows primary attraction though is that it is situated in the dencely populated Northeast and within convenient driving distance of at least 4 Sword clubs, numerous Dojos and sword practitioners, and many of our Canadian collector friends. The purpose of this show is to get new faces through the door and stimulate lively buying, selling and trading. Last year Baltimore was a good start, but Philadelphia is a better development in this process.

Costs for this show are reasonable considering it's in the Northeast. Most hotels wanted a prohibitive $10,000 per day ballroom rental. We did considerably better than that, but table costs and dealers passes reflect the larger hotel expenses and the cost of a dealers dinner, all requirements for the use of the space.

We will advertise this show as widely as possible. Attendees will receive a copy of the Southeast Shows Magazine with a Philadelphia update and we will try to provide as many educational opportunities as possible to encourage new collectors. Your participation is greatly appreciated as we all try to expand our sword world.

Best Wishes,

Bill Green

cell: 904-347-3144

office: 904-808-0662 (afternoons only)

P.S. Please, do not hesitate to call with questions or if you want to sign up over the phone. To sign up online and pay with PayPal click on the link http://www.southeastshowsauctions.com/philadelphia-2014.html

post-5170-14196918446063_thumb.jpg

Does that mean you want a table? I'll call you. Bill.

Hi Bill,

Since I can only attend two days of the show and can't bring many things on a airplane I would be willing to share a table with someone and display some of my tsuba. Give me a call and we can work out the details. :)

Hi Everyone,

I am going to have a table for the show. If anyone wants to share it with me and we can split the cost that would be great. I will be only attending Saturday and Sunday so whoever shares the table with have it all to themselves on Friday. Please PM me or contact me through my website. Thank you. :)

Hi Everyone,

As a quick update I will be attending all three days of the show. This notice is just a quick reminder to call back Bill to reverse my table. I will be bring things on website for show and tell. :lol:

Hi David,

Natalya Green (Bill's wife) writing. Could I ask you to post our website link on your web site? http://www.SoutheastShowsAuctions.com and our name is Southeast Shows & Auctions. We are not website about swords or tsubas, but about sword shows. Maybe for somebody it will be helpful link?

Thank you :thanks: ,

Natalya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

One month away so I wanted to post a update as I will be having a table all three days with my whole Tosogu collection at the upcoming Northeast Japanese Sword Show. Here is a press release sent to me yesterday by Bill Green the shows organizer and promoter. It is shaping up to be a great show and I sincerely hope to see many of my NMB friends in person at the show to discuss the study of Nihonto, Tosogu, and Japanese history and culture in general. :D

The Philadelphia Airport Marriott will be hosting a fascinating new event in the Philly area, Northeast Japanese Swords & Cultural Arts Show. This show melds the ancient Samurai swords, armor and related items with the dynamic of continuing modern day Japanese Cultural Arts. Residents will have the opportunity to see Japanese swords dating back to the 12th Century along with other intriguing arts of the legendary Samurai Warriors. Japan's Daimyo society produced many fine arts and exquisite crafts which are available to collectors at the show. These crafts are preserved today by artisans such as those at Pennsylvania's own Gold Mountain Forge. Practitioners of martial arts, preserving Japan's cultural heritage, will demonstrate sword forms, cutting and Kendo techniques. The show also highlights dealers of kimonos, woodblock prints, art scrolls, tea ceremony items, lacquer work, ivory, bronze and more. There will be modern Japanese arts and crafts and a large selection of Japanese movies. Maido, Philly's own Japanese store will host the “tea zone”, where visitors may purchase a selection of Japanese teas, packaged items and pastries. Educational opportunities, special exhibits, and demonstrations will be listed on the Show website as the show draws nearer: http://www.southeastshowsauctions.com/p ... -2014.html

Admissions costs (includes Southeast Shows & Auctions beautiful full color magazine):

Friday- Saturday: $20 per person, $30 per family.

Sunday: $15 per person, $20 per family.

Three Day admission $45. Youths 17 and under free with parent or guardian.

All entertainment, lectures, demonstrations and special exhibits included in admission.

Show Times:

Friday, October 17th: 12pm - 8pm.

Saturday, October 18th: 9am - 7pm.

Sunday, October 19th: 9am – 4pm.

Please note I have much less hair now. :badgrin:

post-1126-14196934593223_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

About one week away now from the show and I can't wait. Need to do some final preparations over the long holiday weekend. Hope I get to meet some of the USA NMB regulars at this show, old friends, and new friends as well. :D

Hi David and Everybody,

Seems like it is going to be good show. We invited lots of martial artists, 80 dojos from the area. And do not tell me that they are poor and don't buy anything! Ask all dealers at any sword show if they have martial art background? At least 70% of them will tell you they are practising or former martial artists!

Also 50 posts of VFWs from Philly Area were invited to this show.

Lots of groups related to Japanese Cultural Arts were invited too.

Press Releases were sent to 1365 tv stations, radio stations, newspapers, magazines in Philly Area.

Some very cool demos will be in this show. We even have a real ninja guy! Grey Doffin and Joe Forcine will be giving a lectures.

Hotel is a very beautiful. You can see photos on our website, scroll down http://www.southeastshowsauctions.com/show-layout1.html

Also at the show Joe Forcine and Pat Giacobbe will be doing Oshigatas. Call for schedule Bill Green 904-347-3144.

This is a quick updates.

And TOMORROW IS LAST DAY TO BOOK THE ROOM IN HOTEL WITH OUR DISCOUNT RATE!!! OCTOBER 10th. DON'T FORGET TO MENTION Japanese SWORD SHOW!!!

Hi David and Everybody,

Seems like it is going to be good show. We invited lots of martial artists, 80 dojos from the area. And do not tell me that they are poor and don't buy anything! Ask all dealers at any sword show if they have martial art background? At least 70% of them will tell you they are practising or former martial artists!

Hi Bill,

Thank you for all the efforts you have made to promote the show and support local token-kai in the Mid-Atlantic and northeast USA. I completely agree with the quoted above statement. Just celebrating my 10+ years of practice in the Japanese martial arts eight of which was studying Japanese swordsmanship. I am still learning something new every time I pick up a shinken, boken, or shinai to train. :D

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to also post that my table number is 55 at the show near the middle of the room. Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new friends at show this week. :D Now I just need to get through three days of work. :lol:

Hi David,

Natalya is writing. previous post was mine, but Bill completely agree with it. Any time you see mistakes in English just know it is Bill's Russian wife Natalya.

Just wanted to say that one of important collectors in Japanese swords and armor - Mike Cobb - also a Sensei, teaching and practicing. And his wife - Diane - she is teaching. Bill - my husband, martial artist too. And I know lots of sword collectors - martial artists.

Plus, if you want to convert somebody to a sword collector, these guys - martial artists - easiest material for that. They already have passion for swords.

David and everybody, looking forward to see you soon at the Show.

Natalya

Getting geared up for the show. I will be bringing few, but very nice swords, including a Juyo Token.

I am looking forward to seeing everybody and nice stuff. I ended up buying a nice tanto at the Baltimore Show last year, that is now being polished. Sell a few, buy a few, that is the name of the game.

If you are there, stop by and say heh.

Hi Jon,

It was nice meeting you at the Baltimore show last year. Hope you also bring those lovely NTHK papered Kyo-Kinko menuki on your website. Would like to study them in person. Will start looking when not at my table for a nice tanto or Ko-wakazashi for my very small and select Nihonto collection. Might purchase but it depends on sales and if a must buy high end tsuba comes along. :lol:

P.S. Was looking at my Budo katana this early morning who is named (Kaze 風). Do need to pick up a sword bag for it at the show as well. The tsuba on my katana is a large massive Tenpo tsuba with kaze hot stamps and ko-sukashi design circa late Edo Period so the opening of the bag must be large. :)

Hi David:

I am also looking forward to seeing your collection.

I will certainly bring the menuki. I may even have a nice tanto for you. I am trying to be selective with what I bring because I am flying in. The books may have to stay behind, other than by special request.

I am at table 70, across from the Tea Area. See you there.

All:

Had a great time at the Northeast Japanese Sword Show. Although, smaller than Tampa, this is only the first year at this new venue. I did business with 8 individuals at the show and saw money changing hands. The dealer’s dinner was Japanese style and quite delicious. My transactions were, 3 swords, 5 tsuba, 6 woodblock prints, 1 painting, 1 vase and 7 books. I hope there will be a Shinsa next year to solidify this show on the annual calendar. Hats off to Bill Green & Natalya for promoting a successful Northeast Show.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Everybody for attending Northeast Show, for posting photos and for good words about our work! We enjoyed the Show too. As always it was nice to see you all, guys. It was a pleasant venue, good diner, entertaining demos, not too big crowd but lots of new faces. Mostly we are hearing positive feedback. Dealers who were at the show for the first time were surprised how much business they did.

Bill did some deals at the show and some are still continuing.

We are still unpacking from the trip and thinking already about Tampa 2015.

Thanks again to all your work and effort to make this Show happen!

Natalya Green

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..