Gendaito in Type 3 mounts

Dick Tait

Not suggesting this is Ikeda Yasumitsu of Yasukuni shrine (he died in 1941), but maybe Noguchi Yasumitsu of Seki, Gifu?

The Mei looks like a pretty close match as per your Showa Oshigata Database, but I'll look into Hiromitsu...

Yes, the tsuka-maki is all wrong - no age to it and a chicken Menuki!

post-1123-14196956246233_thumb.jpg

Hi Dick,

just a gentle reminder about showato/gendaito identification. Your post title is "gendaito" in Type 3 mounts. Well I am pretty sure from the characteristics of the hamon etc that it is a oil tempered showato blade.

Regards,

Have we seen any any closeup pictures of thh blade or activities yet? I didn't see any but I am just now looking at this post. I found a blade with no stamp but everyone said it seemed to be junk showato. well a polish for ships and giggles revealed a beautiful folded blade with activity and nie everywhere. Lesson for me was old crappy polishes do not let you ever really judge a blade... then again are you willing to risk $1000 or so on a polish and find out you have a polished piece of junk?

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments and knowledge, guess I deceived myself over this one then!

I thought the overall shape was very good, hamon & boshi, nicely shaped kissaki and crisp yokote; altogether a lot better than most of the swords I get to see at the fairs I've been to. Signed and with no arsenal stamp, I was pretty confident this was a gendaito blade.

Just goes to show; that even if not hand forged there was a good level of craftsmanship and respect given to making these swords and....I still have a lot to learn!

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

Don't write it off too much. it could still be hand forged, just not traditionally made.

Agree with above

I have 3 guntos but 2 of them are in polish

My fabled kanetoshi is in perfect polish with a great Hamon and beautiful ko-itame hada is hand made with a seki stamp but not traditionally made ....as in tamahagne

Whilst my other katana by akinori is gendaito and traditionally made

Both have their own merits and if I had to choose between the two then I would favour the kanetoshi blade..... No reason other than my opinion

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..