civlian katana in military use

lonely panet

Hi guys,

Here's a new piece I got just last week, its a nicely mounted katana, modified for military use with the surrender tag as well, and some info about the Australian officer who had taken it aswell,

at first glance I thought it was koto by the shape, but I was very surprised when I looked at the nakago, as it appears to be taisho or early showa.

the hada appears to be poor and uneven, so im at the assumption that is a early showa, as its not signed or stamped and appears to have no activity in the hamon..

please comment and tell me your thoughts.

post-954-14196953265186_thumb.jpg

post-954-14196953271588_thumb.jpg

post-954-14196953274569_thumb.jpg

post-954-14196953280786_thumb.jpg

post-954-14196953286208_thumb.jpg

post-954-14196953292093_thumb.jpg

Hi Hamish,

What I think I know:

That isn't hada, rather 2 different steels have been folded over themselves to provide the contrast. I agree, most likely 1st half of the 20th century and no earlier than Meiji. The kodogu are older, though. I like the tsuba and pity that hole was drilled in the kashira (probably to accept a sarute or tassel of some sort).

Grey

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

heres a update on the background of the sword.

I bought this sword in adalaide, south Australia, at auction. all the info of the aussie digger is unproven at this stage BUUUUTTTT im getting there.

the 2/43 Bn was started at woodside barracks on the 17 july 1940, (30 mins from adalalide.)

the 2/43 was in borneo in 1945

and there was a Sgt bruce davis that was awarded a MID in 1942, that was in tobruk, if the lucky digger lived long enough he could have been promoted to Leftenant come 1945

so following the dots, the history could be true to the letter, also Im still waiting for a trans on the surrender tag from a friend, to see if its correct, I will keep you posted.

its very hard to find a piece out of the wood work that still has all its history with it.

regards Hamish.

Ps im starting some studie on the tsuba, to see how old it is as it appears to be koto tachi style.

post-954-14196955087969_thumb.jpg

post-954-14196955093632_thumb.jpg

hantan 半鍛 literally means "half forged". It was a shortcut method developed in the early 20th century to save time. The steel wasn't folded as many times as normal and thus you get these large, wide seam lines in the hada of the finished sword.

Seems I had a type-o above...."hanten" should be "hantan"-perhaps the root of your confusion- sorry!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..