Papered gunto koshirae???

Jiro49

Kantei-sho is dated September 14 of this year, so yeah, pretty new thing! ;) I have never seen the NTHK-NPO paper a gunto koshirae before....I am a bit surprised myself....I will have to ask them about this my next opportunity....Kantei-sho looks a bit odd to me but maybe they have used a different calligrapher....

Sorry 6k even.

AN UJIFUSA WWII ARMY OFFICER KATANA | 66.7cm | NTHK-NPO Kanteisho x 2 | ~$6,000

Item#: ujgu011

This sword is stunning as it has recently been polished and fresh shirasaya crafted.

Carries a rare Samurai family kamon (emblem) on the hilt – a sword of distinction.

NTHK-NPO certification BOTH the sword AND the original Army Officer fittings. Mint condition

http://new.uniquejapan.com/currently-av ... com=Swords

Hey, hey, hey, friends. I'm getting lost in specifics here. I need some advice at the general level - as it relates to my specifc stuff.

I'll bet half the people in this community have a gunto they have kept because (it was cheap when they bought it, and ) is is really really nice. I have a 3rd Kunikane in graet mounts that feature a big guard that had to have been hand made... So is it time to bring that sort of rig to the next Shinsa? Are shinsa teams open to those kinds of koshirae? How long will it be before collectors will only consider gunto that have papers?

Peter

I spoke with a member of the NTHK-NPO shinsa team today about the gunto koshirae kantei-sho.

First, it is indeed a legitimate NTHK-NPO kantei-sho.

The explanation I was given as to why it passed shinsa was that in Japan, they are rare and thus they believed it has some historical value. They conceded that it has no value as art.

They have always tended to stress the historical side; notice their journal is titled "Token to Rekishi" (The Sword and History), while the NBTHK's journal is called "Token Bijutsu" (Sword Arts).

Their name is Nihon Token Hozon Kai, versus Nihon Bijutsu Token Hozon Kyokai - preserving swords versus preserving "art" swords.

Hope that sheds some light on the issue....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..