Help with identification

Jun

Hello everyone,

I'm a first time poster and was wondering if anyone could assist me in the identification of a sword. In short my knowledge is relatively basic and I require some assistance.

The sword in question has a Shōwa era Menuki as well as a stamp on the Tang, but I'd like to know if it is a genuine Guntō.

* Edit

I have now attached the images for the convenience of everyone. Please excuse my original post to those that saw it.

With the suggestion I should introduce myself could someone be kind enough to send me in the direction of the new members thread as I cannot seem to locate it.

post-5243-14196934622943_thumb.jpg

post-5243-14196934827973_thumb.jpg

post-5243-14196934861285_thumb.jpg

post-5243-14196934885021_thumb.jpg

post-5243-14196934900279_thumb.jpg

post-5243-1419693492411_thumb.jpg

Hi Jun/John:

When I get a post from someone I do not know that asks me to open a can of worms I pass on the offer. Please sign your posts with a first name and initial. Please take the time to introduce yourself in the introducing new members thread. I also suggest that you edit your email to include the photos. You will need to resize them to messagenboard requirements.

John,

Yes, it is a genuine Japanese sword, but not traditionally made. It looks like a very nice Showato.

Regards,

Hoanh

Thank you very much for the reply. Being Showato it would have been machine made and oil quenched to achieve the 'hamon'?

John,

A traditionally made sword, by definition, goes through the forging and folding process, and is water-quenched. Non-traditionally made swords have at least one of these elements missing - not necessarily machine-made and oil-quenched. From your pictures, I think I can see the hada, so it must have been forged and folded. So, oil-quenching would make it a non-traditionally made sword, indicated by the Showa stamp. I am only following logic here. Like I said, it's a very nice Showato.

Regards,

Hoanh

John,

A traditionally made sword, by definition, goes through the forging and folding process, and is water-quenched. Non-traditionally made swords have at least one of these elements missing - not necessarily machine-made and oil-quenched. From your pictures, I think I can see the hada, so it must have been forged and folded. So, oil-quenching would make it a non-traditionally made sword, indicated by the Showa stamp. I am only following logic here. Like I said, it's a very nice Showato.

Regards,

Hoanh

I am relatively familiar with the traditional process though not that of Showato. It is hard to tell from the images but after a closer inspection you can see the hada when holding the actual sword. Thank you so much for the information you have provided (an the others too of course). I cannot give enough thanks!

It says motte Yasuki hagane Amachi Masatsune saku kore

(meaning: made with Yasuki steel)

We often see this inscription. Yasuki steel was made by the Yasuki Tekko Goshigaisha and was used as a tamahagane substitute.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%AE%89%E6%9D%A5%E9%8B%BC

Chris, I can't thank you enough for this information. I can read the majority of the Kanji on the Tang but would never have been able to deduce this (I have a lot to learn). Also thank you for the link!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..