Kanenaga Gendaito

pcfarrar

An interesting gendaito turned up today out of the woodwork at Preston militaria fair. It has a pretty wild choji hamon with lots of sunagashi between the choji peaks, and clear ko-itame hada.

I was surprised to discover that it was just signed nijimei Kanenaga (no stamps) and dated 1943. Anyone have any thoughts which Kanenaga this is? I was surprised at how nice the sword is (it's also in early war good quality mounts) and really though it would have had a star stamp before removing the tsuka.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, only had my phone with me at the fair and the nakago was covered in crud.

Thanks,

Peter

post-9-14196926338245_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196926394187_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196926398742_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196926399565_thumb.jpg

post-9-14196926400486_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

Find only One Smith by two sources:

1. Markus Index : Noshu Seki no ju Kanenaga kore o saku real Name Amachi Ginjiro

2. Jinsoo Kim: a Seki Kaji Tosho Kanenaga real Name Amachi Ginjiro

Best Regards

This is the Seki smith Amachi Ginjiro Kanenaga.

Thanks Chris, is it likely to be completely traditionally made or water tempered western steel etc?

Kanenaga (包永), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – „Nōshū Seki no jū Kanenaga kore o saku“ (濃州関之住包永作之), „Kanenaga“ (包永), civilian name „Amachi Ginjirō“ (天地銀次郎), older brother of Amachi Suzuichi (天地鈴市), he was born on the fourth day of the ninth month Meiji 17 (1884) and died March 8th 1958, he worked as guntō smith, posthumous Buddhist name „Enkaku Chikyō“ (円覚智鏡)

• 3 weeks later...

It's surprisingly nice for a Seki smith of no real note.

There are many surprisingly nice WWII era blades by smiths whose names remain in the shadows. I am often approached by people wanting advice on starting out/collecting gendaito and my mantra is to learn what a good sword is and then collect them, rather than names, as that is where the bargains often are...While this has some condition issues, it is obviously in a different league than the usual mass produced showa-to and could prove to be a very enjoyable blade when restored.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..