Interesting Parade Sabre

Hello everyone,

I have a very interesting Japanese Parade Sabre that I'd like an expert on if possible.

A similar piece is listed in Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks (Fuller/Gregory) in the back of the book in the Unidentified section. It appears to be rare, but I'd like confirmation.

I believe it to be Army, from what I understand likely used during WW2. Possibly an adaption of an 19th century Army parade sabre but made during WW2? Does the 1 star represent a 1 star general?

It's a beautiful piece, quite elaborate I must say. I'll add as many photos as I can.

Feedback may be posted here or sent to me directly at service@uniquejapan.com. As much detail as possible would be most greatly appreciated.

Arigato,

Pablo

post-3312-14196827662955_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14196827665099_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14196827666727_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14196827667991_thumb.jpg

post-3312-14196827670011_thumb.jpg

post-3312-1419682767298_thumb.jpg

Hello Pablo, welcome :)

I have looked at your UniqueJapan site, very nice site.

So you are a dealer :)

I hope the fellow members can shed some light on your sabre so you can estimate a good selling price for it, if that is your intention.

I personally do not know anything about it. Sorry.

Best wishes,

KM

Nice website Pablo, with great photos.

I would, however, love it if you would go to the General Discussion section and maybe intro yourself and let us know a bit about your business. Might help with future sales. Will add the site to the links section if we have a bit of a background. :)

Thanks,

Brian

PS - Unusual sword there. Surely not registered in Japan as Nihonto?

Hi Pablo and welcome.

Thomas beat me to the punch. The sword is exactly described in Fuller and Gregory 1996 in the way that Thomas has told you. The single star and the ends of the sun rays on the emblem on the shell guard are distinguishing features that separate it from the earlier 1875 version. The straight blade marks it as for wear with full dress uniform, a more traditional blade shape was worn for field use.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..