New nice Soten tsuba

giuseppepiva

if sent to the US using US mail (Express) there is no duty, my understanding is there is no customs duty on antiques, when I have gone to Japan I brought a bunch of stuff back and had a letter saying they were antiques, when I explained this to a supervisor (some of the customs agents are not up on rules) they let me through - no charge. When I have items delivered from overseas there is never a duty is sent by normal mail but if sent through a shipping company (Fed Ex and others) I have got an invoice for duty, it costs more to dispute it so I just pay

you do can really call you "lucky dudes" there over the Atlantic!

we here in central Europe do get taxed on everything!(we purchase or not)

Italia is worst meanwhile!

this "italian system" will but forcefully ben active equally to the rest here...(Jean in France)...(me in Germany)-sooner or latter!

last times i did want to pay in cash 400.-Euro bucks,i got an straight(!) but corect (in front of their´s law) refusing to accept mine cash-payment by an Italian antiques dealer...

he insisted so i shall either pay via creditcard or preferably via wire-transfer!

LOL!

you lucky dudes in US i just can say!

Christian

In the Netherlands when I import an antique item with provenance from a non EU memberstate I am in the lower VAT of 6%. Does not matter from where I import it. When EU citizens buy from EU citizens or companies the VAT is in the price already just like Guiseppe stated. You pay in the country where you buy it.

KM

VAT on import is different from VAT on sales in all Europe.

If I buy an item from outside Europe (e.g. Japan) I can have a special vat rate on import (it's 10% in Italy, 5% in UK, etc). But when a gallery or a shop sells something the applied VAT is the regular one. Of course if the buyer wants the item shipped outside Europe, VAT can be fully deduced.

Cash is a different matter: in Italy we are not allowed to take 1,000€ or more. You can imagine how fashion people can be happy about this, with all the Chinese and Russian buyers around full of cash...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..