Ebay seller bassy58

I suggest that nobody buy swords off this seller:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Japanese-WW2 ... 27e808bbd6

His story about inheriting swords from his dead father to pay for his children's education is pure fiction. He is also knowingly selling gimei swords and saying that he has had them confirmed real.

I have traced where he has got his swords from and are in contact with the sellers who sold him swords and can confirm his address in Australia. I find it sad that a follow collector needs to go to such lengths to push a sale. His emails to me really played the dead war veteran card well to close the sale of a gimei sword that he said he had another collector confirm as real.

He is also the one who sold the SA sword which is gimei and obviously not read out in a will and found under the floorboards as he claimed.

Anyway just felt like sharing some facts.

T Spencer

I was hot on another sword he had but could not get the funds, I too felt something amiss, that being said i think the price of the BIN is fair for what's being sold. buy the sword not the storys...ALWAYS

Edit to add

This was the sword that John translated for me and what i was hot for, hope the new owner does not find any kizu

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Japanese-WW2 ... 3781wt_988

As Stephen said, buy the sword, not the story. I don't think it is completely fair to say "don't buy from him"

That is a fair price for the package imho. Looks to be in polish, and a decent deal.

While I don't like the story being spun....it should not influence a knowlegeable collector

Brian

I bought two, he sent them both and I sent one back because it had forging flaws when he said it was perfect. Someone else bought it since then, now either they sent it back as well or the sale fell through. Its the one hes selling now, its being sold for the third time.

He has a probable gimei sadamune hes trying to pass off as real as well.

This is his link have a look it from ebay or online id seen it before

http://s854.photobucket.com/user/Bassy5 ... t=3&page=1

T Spencer

As Stephen said, buy the sword, not the story. I don't think it is completely fair to say "don't buy from him"

That is a fair price for the package imho. Looks to be in polish, and a decent deal.

While I don't like the story being spun....it should not influence a knowlegeable collector

Brian

Yes but he lies in all of his descriptions and emails. The sword he is selling now ive had in my hands and ive sent back. He knows its got flaws. I just pass on information id have liked to read before I made my purchase. Claiming that you have a war veteran father who died and left you all of his swords and talking about how devastated you are is outrageous behavior.

Trent S

For all those interested it is this one that I posted about before when I viewed it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18971

He has been well informed by me that it has a cracked and welded nakago and big openings in the blade. Still looking like a good package ;)

ps. The koshire wasn't made for the blade either imo

T Spencer

Brian

Couldn't disagree more. I don't buy products of any sort from liars. I'm sure there are many collectors and sellers in the world that try to be fair and honest in their descriptions and pricing and they don't lie, because their reputation in the community is important. I''ll stick with known good guys not people that have to lie to sell a product.

No problem its for everyone's benefit that I posted it :)

On a more positive note I am buying a katana from Ed at Yakiba and he seems very professional and straight forward. Many people are very honest. :thanks: :)

Trent Spencer

Ed is as good as they come. There are many honest people- there is no reason to deal with those who aren't...

On a more positive note I am buying a katana from Ed at Yakiba and he seems very professional and straight forward. Many people are very honest. :thanks: :)

Trent Spencer

Ed is as good as they come. There are many honest people- there is no reason to deal with those that aren't...

Chris put it in perspective - Ed is top notch, and there are others out there on the same realm. Stick with them and you'll be happy. As for those like you mention above, when in doubt - retreat.

Cheers

Sam Elliott

I'm afraid Mr. Spencer is accurate about all this. The seller is making up the entire back story about his swords. Personally I don't buy from liars and swindlers. As was said before there are too many good people who deserve your business more.

Cheers,

Im glad to see that dishonest dealers are being "outted" , Im in Australia and Im a part time dealer. I help beginner collectors and some times find items for them at a small return to myself, for all my time spent beating the bushes finding them. So people like this just make life harder for those who are still learning, or have a small budget.

I think dishonest dealers should have both hands removed, as they are basically thieves.

regards Hamish

Im glad to see that dishonest dealers are being "outted" , Im in Australia and Im a part time dealer. I help beginner collectors and some times find items for them at a small return to myself, for all my time spent beating the bushes finding them. So people like this just make life harder for those who are still learning, or have a small budget.

I think dishonest dealers should have both hands removed, as they are basically thieves.

regards Hamish

I do something similar but interest in person is hard to find :). I'll even find swords at cost sometimes after a bit of a chat. Most people around my age (25) aren't interested in something that they don't have the funds to own, but a lot of older people are from what Ive heard on here. Sellers like the one mentioned should be held accountable so that they lose business and give up or at least learn some life lessons. What state are you in?

Trent S

The thing that pisses me off is that people benefit so greatly from the sale of things under false pretenses. This right here is the perfect scenario to illustrate this point.

The blade that Trent purchased was sold by me to the seller who then sold it to Trent under false pretenses. That seller bought it from me for around $700 if I remember right, and then resold it for a significant profit to Trent. I won't state how much for his own privacy.

When I first bought that blade I bought it from Tim Pepin. This was about 2 years ago when I first started collecting. It cost me nearly $1800 and that was when it was out of polish. I then had it restored by an amature polisher which cost an additional $900.

I then put it through shinsa for another $200, which it failed due to a gimei, but it was attributed to one of the Echizen Shimosaka smiths. I then sold it on ebay with full disclosure of the fact that it failed shinsa, and included the shinsa papers in the package to the person who won it, who is the most recent seller.

So what cost me roughly $2900, was sold with honesty on ebay for $700, (a $2200 loss) and then resold with false pretenses for a significant profit.

It may seem like a small lie to make up a story about a sword, but in the long run someone somewhere has somehow paid for that lie.

Trent Spencer

Agree. Ed is very honest.

I think it is at least 10 or 11 years now since I first dealt with him. Never a disappointment. Usually as good or better than expected.

Just an update, he issued me a full refund and promised to stop lying to people about his sword collection. He pulled his ebay listing and says hes very sorry and supposedly won't do it again.

If anyone else wants a refund for a known gimei, nows the time to contact him because he will refund you ;). One of my friends helped me send him a letter detailing that if he didn't stop I was going to get him chased for fraud :)

The main reason I messed with him so much is that I didn't appreciate him playing the recently dead war veteran card in alot of our email conversations. I have recently dead and not so recent war veterans in my family and its not something that you should use to manipulate people.

Anyway 8)

Trent S

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..