beware....

Well...no issues with the blade at least. Minor stuff, but of course should have been mentioned. Still...I was expecting something serious like hagire or flaws.

When are sellers going to learn that prohibiting international shipping loses you about half your potential customer base immediately, and therefore huge $$$'s. Not everyone wants to run around asking someone to broker a deal like Stephen does. It always says to me that the seller is not serious about a sale.

Nakago is .... funky.

Brian

Be careful doing business with the original seller. He has a 100% rating, but his descriptions of swords are very often inaccurate. I recently bid on a Nihonto he had listed on E-Bay. When I question the qaulity of the Hi on the sword he admitted that it was damaged and the photo's didn't show that. He allowed me to withdraw my bid and then promptly blocked me from bidding on any of his items. This even though I had purchased from him before. Apparently he didn't like me questioning the accuracy of his description and deliberately evasive photos. Caveat Emptor!

buyers remorse he bought it from Showa22, should we tell him?

I bought this from ebay Seller Showa22 in January 2014 for $6,550.00. For better information, please type in Yasukini Shrine Sword as a search on ebay, then click on sold items. It will pop up with better pictures. The blade is outstanding, mint and full polish. However, some issues were not disclosed. Here's what the original listing stated:

This is a Japanese WWll Army officer`s sword in mountings. The blade is signed "Yasunori (=Yasutoku) 靖徳", dated " Ni-gatsu Kichi jitsu 二月吉日 ( lucky day Feb.)", shinogi-zukurishape, WWll time period made. Yasunori's real name is Kajiyama Tokutaro, was born in Hiroshima prefecture on Feb 16, 1881, studied under Yokoyama Sukeyoshi. In July 1933, he became a master sword smith for the Nihonto Tanrenkai at Yasukuni shrine and was given the Tosho name of Yasunori, listed John Slough's book page 188 and rated 1.5 Million yen smith. The blade is traditional hand forged, in old full polish, no rust, no staine, no scratch and in super mint condition. The temper line is wavy ko-choji temper pattern throughout the blade and has deep o-maru temper at the point. The forging grain is tight itame-hada and no forging flaws at all. There is no bend, no nicks, no crack and cutting edge is razor sharp. The scabbard is glossy lacquered heavy metal scabbard, no bend, no dent, no lacquer loss and in mint condition. The handle is tight fit, tsuka-ito wrapping is no loose, no cut also in mint condition and has silver "maruju" (one of Shimazu) family mon on kabutogane. The lock mechanism works fine. Tsuba and seppa are all matched, no numbe stamped. The blade measures 28+5/16" tip to the guard, 27+1/2" cutting edge, 1+1/8" width, 6.5mm thickness at the notch and 40+1/4" in mountings. The issues not disclosed in Showa22's prior listing are: 1) the locking pin does not work, 2) the inside of the scabbard was recently filed down in an attempt to have the scabbard work, 3) the silver foil is torn nearly through in 2 places, 4) the silver foil was also hammered improperly for it to fit, 5) the menuki hole was fixed and rayskin was glued over the prior hole and 6) the handle clicks slightly from looseness because it was fitted from another sword. I assure you the blade is in perfect polish and very rare to see a Yasukuni Shrine sword this long.

Sorry no international shipping, no exceptions. Paypal payment immediate only. thank you

Just like Jeffrey I asked Showa22 a couple of questions. Probably the right questions but the wrong ones for him, all of a sudden I was blocked from his auctions. Doesn't seems like the behaviour of a serious business man, does it?

Regards

Daniel

• Haha 1

Just like Jeffrey I asked Showa22 a couple of questions. Probably the right questions but the wrong ones for him, all of a sudden I was blocked from his auctions. Doesn't seems like the behaviour of a serious business man, does it?

Regards

Daniel

Daniel, glad to see that it wasn't my sterling personality that elicited a block on bidding. There is no way I would ever buy anything from this seller ever again. Lets just say I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him with one hand.

Hi Everyone,

In regards to Showa22 and eBay in general do your home work before you bid period! If something isn't clear in the photos contact the seller. If no additional photos are provided don't bid. If you are ready to bid have an ideal how much the item is worth. I did and I was happy with the Showato I purchased from Showa22. I use it for Bato training it is in "civilian mounts" that are in fairly good shape.

He's been told of my opinion that the signature is fake. He answered with "fu#king a$$hole"...Classy guy....

I received a rather insulting phone call today from the seller of this sword complaining about my comment above and my lack of reporting the intermittent conversation that "justified", as he tells me, his classy reply.....

EDIT: I have received notice from the seller threatening a lawsuit, claiming I have published "personal information". Since the seller is now objecting to my posting of the dialog, I have removed it.

Again, ebay is a cesspool, enter at your own risk...

Brian,

Like many here I have sold on ebay for years and have always offered sales to foreign buyers, but within the last year issues have complicated many sales...USPS no longer offers enough insurance options for most swords sold to most countries and there is very little recourse when something goes wrong (I have two losses and damages in dispute currently, one box with a sword was bent nearly in half in Europe and returned)...Add non-paying bidders and paypal issues it can be extraordinarily frustrating just working a deal...May be just me, but I have had three missing or damaged swords going to Europe just last month. Ed

When are sellers going to learn that prohibiting international shipping loses you about half your potential customer base immediately, and therefore huge $$$'s. Not everyone wants to run around asking someone to broker a deal like Stephen does. It always says to me that the seller is not serious about a sale...

Brian

Chris,

To be fair, that is not the way I would have worded it.

"It's a fake" right from the start is a sure way to turn someone off the advice immediately. Is it made in China? Is it a real sword? is the signature gimei?

Lots of unanswered questions. You might have taken the time to explain what and why, for the same reason we criticised a recently suspended member for his brief critiques.

I am never happy with discussing open auctions, but also know that we have a duty to assist collectors. There has to be a happy medium somewhere, but maybe not where eBay is concerned. Not sure how we expect people to react when told that their significant investment is worth far less than they thought. It's a chance you take. But we can always try and cushion the blow somewhat.

Brian

Point taken. Given the sellers record on ebay it appeared that he deals regularly in Japanese swords and would understand my comment referred to the signature. I made my statement clear in subsequent correspondence, along with the reasons for my opinion.

With all of the gimei Yasukuni blades showing up, I think of these head's ups as a useful service for the members here. It is only one opinion though and everyone is free to perform their own due diligence.

I will take your wise words to heart though in the future.