Sharing pics of Echizen ju Kinai Wak Tsuba (Edo)

CurtisR

Greetings all,

Thought I'd share a couple of photos for the sake of posterity with the board's database of a wakizashi Tsuba. Iron, and my guess is that it's a Clam or some such shellfish theme but I'm open to suggections. Also, many thanks much to Mr. Bowen who gave me the translation as the kanji were driving me insane :bowdown: . Echizen ju Kiani is listed as an importan smith during the 1700's (edo) - after doing research I've found that much of his work was of sukashi style, so perhaps this one's a bit more unique?

I'm sorry I don't have easurements of images of the mimi posted, but certainly can if anyone would like. It was attached to a fairly nice wak with an interesting hamon (probably Gumone Togare)that fits the period, although un-signed. Weight is 551 grams.

Curtis R.

post-2807-14196904051416_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196904066113_thumb.jpg

post-2807-14196904076361_thumb.jpg

Hi Curtis R.,

I can't add much to what you already have. The Kinai school in Echizen Province made mostly sukashi tsuba of dragon, Aoi leaves, and a few other designs and your tsuba is clearly solid (ita) but the clam or other shellfish is fairly common subject matter for the school. Based upon your signature and workmenship I would say your tsuba is a school piece and not gimei.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..