I would like to buy koshirae or shirasaya

D McCutcheon

I have a lovely new Gendaito its in reasonable polish but has a lot of surface markings and scratches probably come up well with a light polish. but the shirasaya while a historical artifact is cracked completely through the handle is too though somehow its still holding together. So I will need everything if I decide to go for koshirae including a habaki and its prettier than the shirasaya though im thinking shirasaya would be cheaper option just wondering what the prices of the work and the procedure would be for either option. Im in UK too so thats probably a big crimp on things too.

Danny

Daniel,

When it comes to habaki, koshirae, and shirasaya, everything has to be custom-made for your sword. You can't purchase them and fit them to your sword. So, you will need to get in touch with qualified craftsmen to get estimates for the work. On average, habaki is about $400-$500 and shirasaya is $500-$600.

Regards,

Hoanh

Daniel,

If you plan on having the sword restored (polished) then you might consider shirasaya at that time. If you have one made prior, you'll need to have new one made for the fresh polish. So you might just do them at the same time.

Please use a properly Japanese trained togishi.

Wow Jamie didnt realise id need to get a totally new shirasaya after a polish glad you said that and yes im planning to get this sword polished its actually not bad but it could do with a light polish. So it seems ill be waiting till the polishing to get new shirasaya but if I do that how will I post the sword to the maker of the shirasaya if I cant use the old one?

Many times the togishi can be involved. It's a common practice to get new shirasaya at the time of polish. Again please use a Japanese trained polisher.

Not sure where you are but if you're in the us, Bob Benson is a solid choice he's located in Hawaii and one of the very few polishers properly Japanese trained residing outside Japan. Jimi Hayashi is another and I think he is in SF,and Kunitaro San on this board also can send your sword to Japan for polish also. People here seem to be happy with his service as well. I've tried to list everyone so as not to leave anyone out.

Hi Danny,

You can very easily make the old shirasaya useable until it's time for the polish; it will work fine for shipping the blade also. The saya has its smallest circumference at the bottom and the smallest of the tsuka is at its top. Cut a strip of paper about 1" wide and long enough to wrap around the saya and then some. Tightly wrap masking tape around the paper. Now force the paper/tape towards the top of the saya or bottom of the tsuka. As the circumference increases the paper/tape will get very tight and lock the 2 halves of the saya/tsuka together. It will take about 3 strips for the saya and a couple for the tsuka, spread out as best as you can (it will take also some trial & error). Your shirasaya is now sound and better yet, this fix is reversible and will leave no tape residue on the wood.

Grey

ps. I always place one of these strips at the top of the saya and bottom of the tsuka when shipping a sword in shirasaya. It protects the saya from splitting in transit.

thanks grey

good points those sadly the shirasaya that came with the swords been wraapped directly to the wood with gaffer tape that said at least its holding together so I can ship it safely, ill need to ask the polisher then about a new shirasaya and habaki at the time its polished, ill probably hold ontop the old one as its got the original ww11 surrender tags

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..