Seal script on a WWII tantō

Gabriel L

Thanks. The user posted two new galleries:

http://imgur.com/a/ZygjY/layout/blog

http://imgur.com/a/EeB91/layout/blog

He also has a 1984 appraisal:

My 92 year old grandmother gave me the tanto from the linked pics. Here's what I know: My grandfather picked it up in Japan where he was stationed after WW2. The overall length of the sheath is about 15.5".

At some point my dad had it appraised by David Pepin of Grant Park, IL. Pepin relayed the following: -Maker: Ogawa-Bokuto -Gift to Mr. Niimi Seiichi, Commander of South Chinese Squadron -Approx creation date: 1940

I have translated the omote mei 小川外藤作 to Ogawa Tofuji saku (Seki smith, real name 小川藤一) and the ura mei includes the column 新見政一. Still working on the rest of the ura mei, help would be accepted. EDIT: I think I got it, 南支艦隊 | 司令長官 | 新見政一 (Nanshi Kantai Shirei Chōkan | Niimi Masaichi): Niimi Masaichi, Admiral of the South Expeditionary Fleet.

Much better than I thought on first glance. Can't quite tell for sure if it's traditionally-forged or oil-quenched and I see no hada (though of course the polish doesn't help). Looks like the seal script was engraved with a dremel or something?

Thank you for the posting and the link.

頒御賜 Meaning is "Sharing of an Imperial gift".

A person ordered some Tantos and share/gift for his friends, when a person given money(or something) as a Imperial gift from the Emperor.(my guess).

Isoroku Yamamoto also did the same act.(Amada Sadayoshi tanto)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..