Help with the knife

Birdhunter1220

Could you post more pictures of the edge? I mean, zoom in on the edge so that we could see if there is any presence of Hamon.

At the moment, I would say that it is not a traditionnal made tanto, the shape is very odd. The mei may be Gimei(false signature). I cannot see any presence of hamon, so I would say that it is some fake reproduction of Japanese tanto.

Please wait for other people's opinion. They may correct me.

Could you post more pictures of the edge? I mean, zoom in on the edge so that we could see if there is any presence of Hamon.

At the moment, I would say that it is not a traditionnal made tanto, the shape is very odd. The mei may be Gimei(false signature). I cannot see any presence of hamon, so I would say that it is some fake reproduction of Japanese tanto.

Please wait for other people's opinion. They may correct me.

I will do my best to get a close up of edge. Thanks for your information. I actually found this in the woods.

Birdhunter,

Please:

NEVER touch a blade with your bare hands

Sign all messages with a real first name and an initial as per the forum's rules.

The blade is a Japanese TANTO. Unfortunately, someone without any knowledge has polished the blade and possibly ruined it. The shape has been altered and it might be very difficult and expensive to restore it, if at all possible.

I suggest you look for a knowledgeable NMB member near your place to ask for further advice, you go to a Japanese sword show, or you look for a NIHONTO club in your neighbourhood.

Best of luck!

Birdhunter,

Please:

NEVER touch a blade with your bare hands

Sign all messages with a real first name and an initial as per the forum's rules.

The blade is a Japanese TANTO. Unfortunately, someone without any knowledge has polished the blade and possibly ruined it. The shape has been altered and it might be very difficult and expensive to restore it, if at all possible.

I suggest you look for a knowledgeable NMB member near your place to ask for further advice, you go to a Japanese sword show, or you look for a NIHONTO club in your neighbourhood.

Very sorry to break any rules. My name is Bill. I will look for a show but I live in a small area. I would like to get into the hands of a lover of these blades. I do love history and would be nice to know something about the blade and is maker. Thanks so much for your imput.

Bill

ROFL,

I track animals as a hobby. And it really looks as if a dog, or some canine chewed up and ran that blade into the woods where you found it. serious teeth marks in that tsuka...

Hank

Thanks Hank and I think you may be right. Lots of coyotes in this area so who knows. I would love to get a new handle for it.

Bill

It's real and old. Shape was changed either by amateur grinding because it was rusted, or from repeated polishing over the years. Probably the former.

Probably still has a hamon under that over buffed surface. I would say a dog got hold of it. One like this was discussed years ago here, someone found it outdoors somewhere. Wonder if it could be the same one with a new owner.

Anyways, sell it to someone who wants to take a chance. But with so much of the edge removed through grinding, it has lost most of its value.

Brian

It's real and old. Shape was changed either by amateur grinding because it was rusted, or from repeated polishing over the years. Probably the former.

Probably still has a hamon under that over buffed surface. I would say a dog got hold of it. One like this was discussed years ago here, someone found it outdoors somewhere. Wonder if it could be the same one with a new owner.

Anyways, sell it to someone who wants to take a chance. But with so much of the edge removed through grinding, it has lost most of its value.

Brian

I would like to see it go to someone who would enjoy it. Not sure how to sell or what a fair price is. Any help would be appericated.

Bill

To me, it looks like a genuine olde tanto which has had its' edge near the handle ground down over time due to polishing. This is a not uncommon feature of older swords (as far as I know).

The buffing and therefore the obscuration of features like hamon and hada is also regrettably not uncommon in my experience.

Hank, I think it best to take your sword to someone who knows what they are looking at and get an in-hand opinion. Someone at sword shows or Japanese sword clubs would be able to offer a better opinion as it is difficult to make a definitive assessment from photos.

Dear Hank

As Stephen said, yes it might be that old.

The first kanji can be Kei or Yoshi

and the second can be ryu or taka

And I found

1. Yoshitaka 1673-1681 most likely one I stated before but listed under the Yoshitaka reading

2. Yoshitaka 1854-1860 worked in Settsu province and might have been the son

of Okuda Masayoshi

To find out more you will need to get your sword in-front of an collector/dealer

that can help.

There might be hope for this sword yet.

good luck

david

The big problem with this one is the metal ground away just in front of the machi. That cannot be fixed. To bring the edge back would remove the machi and part of the nakago. So it will always have that ugly dip in the edge. And whilst that is accepted on old Koto due to repeated polishing, it is not forgivable on a younger blade like this.

Therefore I think this one has a value of $100 or $200 at best for someone who is curious. Just my own opinion.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..