Gassan attribution

Justin

Hi,

Thanks for your thoughts regarding kantei, however going back to my original question, do you think the NBTHK put simply 'Gassan' on the paper because:

a). They believe this is a koto period sword

b). They don't know which time priod to place this sword, however they know it was made by Gassan school

This is what I really want to know.

Only the NBTHK can give you the good response.

Thanks for your thoughts regarding kantei, however going back to my original question, do you think the NBTHK put simply 'Gassan' on the paper because:

a). They believe this is a koto period sword

b). They don't know which time period to place this sword, however they know it was made by Gassan school

This is what I really want to know.

Justin,

"a" does not rule out "b" as "b" does not rule out "a".

However, If a sword is detected as a kotou sword, but not to a specific smith. It will not default as a "Gassan" och "Gassan school" and if they detect the sword as a "Gassan" or "Gassan School" they will attribute it as such. That's the way it is and works.

/Martin

Hi Justin. My best suggestion is to seek further opinions whilst the sword is still in Japan. Have your agent contact a recognized appraiser such as Tanobe (does he still do appraisals independent of the NBTHK (sayagaki?), or Fujishiro?. Or get him to take it back to the the NBTHK and seek clarification. It depends how far you want to take your research. For what it's worth I think the sword is not Koto. Regards Mark

My contact in Japan picked the sword up on Friday and he asked about the attribution. The NBTHK said Dewa no Gassan, Muromachi Jidai. Thanks for all your feedback. It has been an interesting discussion.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Justin,

I found your thread and thought you might be interested to see my own Koto Gassan. It is signed 'Gassan saku' and has ayasugi hada as well. I acquired it in 2009 and purchased it from a Japanese dealer. I'll try to post a decent photo of the hada at a later date.

Vaughan

post-4733-14196881625976_thumb.jpg

Hello Justin,

I just recently got the Gassan Sadamitsu katana back from polish

and it is stunning and faultless and full of hataraki but no ayasugi hada.

Yamato tradition masame hada and because of the condition before polish

I would of sworn back and blue it was deado the same as the one he made

in the Gassan Tradition for the Boston Museum but without the horimono.

The Sadamitsu and Sadakatsu and unpolished Mumei Gassan? are here for

your comparison on your next visit to Sydney

Regards Al

Only the NBTHK can give you the good response.

I thought this was the original question that Justin asked, that the NBTHK did not clarify the sword

at least Dr Tokunoh Kasuo would have ventured an opinion on it's origin or smiths work

regards

John

ps, not all red is being chugalugged, still some available, and I hope to catch up with you all again soon, Justin, David, and Alan and all on the other side of the rabbit proof fence!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Justin et al. I just discovered this thread. Interestingly, it is after I bought this sword from Justin. It's great to have such a nice discourse on the sword. I imagine that the nakago has been extraordinarily well preserved over the years (I have some very early shinto that have nearly mint nakago and in which the yasurime is as if made last century). I must say that the hada is gorgeous on this blade. Cheers, Surf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..