Yari holder cup?

Ian

Agreed with Ian there about the Daimyo Gyoretsu. Possibly for an uma-jirushi or large nobori-bata? Have you seen the chaps who juggle the long poles with fluffy tops? Very nice. I will show this to a few people if you don't mind, and see what feedback it might draw.

There is an illustration in Sasama Sensei's Nihon no Katchu/Bugu Jiten, on p. 428 of a pole-holder leather, E-tate-kawa 柄立革 which looks like a leather sheath affixed to the front of the obi, for carrying an uma-jirushi. It's a badly-printed drawing, but I will try and take a shot of it. Now if yours is an Etate, (but not a Kawa,) a Tsutsu or Ukezutsu, then we could be nearing the truth, although with that brass tang, I have to admit it could be a banner holder for a Bakumatsu/Meiji army, the holder clip to be slid onto a leather belt. (?)

post-601-14196836982086_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196836984662_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196836987416_thumb.jpg

Piers, No, it has never to my knowledge ever been translated. I did however make extensive use of it, with Dr. Sasama's permission of course, when writing my first book. In particular the glossary settled many queries. One amusing incident occurred concerning a helmet described somewhere as an 'hour of the hare helmet' or 'dawn helmet'. After pondering long and hard on this odd description, it was relayed back to Dr. Sasama who replied that since the rivets holding a bowl together are called 'hoshi' or stars, it meant the helmet had countersunk rivets - the stars being no longer visible! :roll: :roll:

Ian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..