American Pickers

Stephen

Was going to post same but was beaten to it.

For those curious, the former "picker sword" (a wak I believe) had nice fittings, and despite what Frank told the owner, it was later sold to a member here for a fair bit more then the 400 bucks I believe he mentioned:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10481&p=105243&hilit=pickers+sword#p105243

Regards

In my opinion, it was a non matched set, the sode were from a more elaborate armor, the menpo did not belong with the kabuto, the sunate were different from the other parts. The kabuto was not lined, etc.

Decent parts, but I think Frank paid retail for it at $3,500.

The other armor looked modern, the armor the guy said had a 12K menpo (Bird beak). Doubtful that it was a 16th century armor.

The one very honest thing the "expert appraiser" had to say was that this armor was not for any serious collector, they would have no interest in it, and it was more for the new collector that wants a set.

Justin

Thanks for the comments, Justin. The shoulder guards did strike even me as a bit loud.

What is not clear is whether the tachi and meji era tourist looking tanto (complete with the dragon tsuka), came with the suit.

I suspect not, as no further mention was made of them.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..