Help with date please

Lindus

Will be dropping this and a mask to our local auction next week, have this as 18th century?, the silk insde the mail is sound but faded also has a liner.

Would appreciate a more educated assessment of age if you could.

Cheers

Roy

post-1746-14196835852957_thumb.jpg

post-1746-14196835858892_thumb.jpg

post-1746-14196835861984_thumb.jpg

post-1746-14196835868164_thumb.jpg

Roy, the helmet would be considered as Edo period, I do not know any way to get a more accurate date, I would call it a hachigane/hitai-ane forehead protector with a kusari shikoro. Here is an image of them in use.

Beato-EstateGuard1.jpg

That will do my friend, thank you for the effort. {Boy they look uncomfortable}

Roy

Considering the time period, they were about to be out of a job, plus this image as opposed to many of these early photographs which were taken in a studio may have actually been taken outside.

Roy, One small indicator is that the mail on your tatami hitai ate is namban gusari hence must be post 1543. But in reality, its is as Eric said, Edo period. As for the guys in the picture, remember that the Japanese did at least issue their common soldiers with armour, however notional, and much of it is actually quite good.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..