Very Rare Prototype NCO Sword

brannow

Hi All,

I thought I would share one of my latest and most exciting finds. It is a prototype Japanese NCO sword. There is one listed in Jim Dawsons book but the one he has pictured is a little rough. This one is in almost pristine condition.

Since I took so many pictures I am just post a link to the pics.

http://collectorsmilitaria.com/a_very_r ... 062612.htm

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Not really relevant because I know the difference between a Chinese fake and a real Japanese sword!

Of course you do Bill, take the time to check out what I said re the Japanese military police swords, you may find this adds to your knowledge.

Is it possible that with the Officers Tsuba and Saya that these are "Bitsy" eg, put together to enhance the Value??

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

It came from a vet along with 2 old wakizashi that were a little too rough to buy for my taste. It has not been messed with at all. On the copper handle I posted it is a non-typical piece because of the screw bolt where the mekugi would be which was why I posted it. I will post a photo of my other copper handle nco with its textbook bolt at the serute.

Bill,

This is the first time I've seen a copper handled NCO with mekugi screw as well as with a iron tuba. Also, I've noticed that the position of Suya markings and kokura canon balls on fuchi are switched. This is an another interesting piece.

Great piece.

Shigezo S.

加州住繁蔵

Hi if your referring to the first sword I posted. The grommet at the end of the handle were the serute or tassel suspender is probably also is a threaded bolt and screw like on the copper handles nco swords. On the copper handled nco swords the bolt is at the end of the handle and goes through the handle and the end of the tang. I looked briefly today for my other copper handled nco to take a photo of it but could not find it. I will find it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, I've noticed that the position of Suya markings and kokura canon balls on fuchi are switched.

You have a sharp eye Shigezo S. 加州住繁蔵, i also have one with a similar switch of stampings, i have attached a picture for you to see.

It's the centre one of the three, the image name indicates the matching serial numbers respectively.

Brian, this is for the militaria collectors amongst us, if you feel it is inapproriate, please remove.

Ernst

post-3094-14196837068481_thumb.jpg

Hi Ernst,

Nice sets of copper handled Type 95s. Thanks for sharing the nice collections.

I wish I had one and am still hoping someday I own one.

What I like about Type 95 is that they are government issued military hardware and it also having these variations and anomaly we encounter sometimes fascinates me.

Shigezo S.

加州住繁蔵

• 3 months later...

Hi Bill

Puzzled at the title "Very rare prototype NCO sword"

Quote: This totally mass-produced copy of the officers shin-gunto was introduced, it is thought, in 1933 or 1934 and issued to NCO's as a regulation requirement.

The most distinctive feature is the hilt, which is a complete cast aluminium (sometimes brass) copy of the officers pattern. Well detailed, it is painted to represent the normal coloured binding and same. the seperate plain copper fuchi bears the Koishikawa Kokura arsenal symbol. Brass aoi-shape or, occasionally thin blackened-iron tsuba are used with only two seppa. The painted olive green steel scabbards have one ashi and a fixed shoe. A spring clip, affixed to the top edge of the hilt, passes through the tsuba to engage with a throat fitting and retain the sword in the scabbard. Leather combat covers are rarely fitted, but may denote usage by a senior NCO, or Warrant officer when found"

Military swords of Japan. Fuller and Gregory.

Picture examples

Page 38 Plates 49 + 50

Page 40 Plates 51 + 52

Note Plate 52 is a leather combat covered example.

(an edit here)

Re-reading my post, it could be taken that the book reference, be used to class the sword under discussion. Not at all, it was to indicate the difference from the norm.

What a great find, and a brilliant conversation piece.

Denis.

Just an enquiry as to the nakago-tsuka fixing, the sarute passes through the retaining bolt? as on the copper tsuka models! Ok got that, but this sword does not seen to have any keyways, or flats to allow easy removeal! how does that work? The sarute doesn't double up as a mekugi surely. What have I missed?

Denis

Hi Denis,

"Puzzled at the title "Very rare prototype NCO sword"

If you look at the first post in this thread and follow the link, you will see why this really is a rare prototype and quite different to the normal NCO sword in the following ways:

The blade does not have a Habaki, nor was one intended by the look of the fit at the Koiguchi, and the officer type saya with Ishizuki with Cherry blossoms and a leaf, Semegane with Kashiwaba, Haikan with Cherry blossoms & Kuchigane with Cherry blossoms.

I've never seen one like it.

Cheers

Also, regarding your question Denis about the eyelet screw heads on the "kashira" being without slots. This appears consistent with the eyelets on Type 94 and 98 officer' smounts. They look like they are similar to the usual male and female threaded slot-less eyelets that simply screw in and out by finger pressure once the sarute is removed (This is how it looks to me).

Hope this helps.

Regards

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..