Sendai/yukinoshita dou ???

estcrh

The recent discussion of Peter's armor reminded me of an unusual armor recently sold in Japan, I have never seen another one like this, I would call it a tatami sendai dou gusoku. This complete matching armor was broken up and sold as individual pieces by an unscrupulous dealer.

shirofuji2005-img450x600-1325900688wpwvra39730.jpg

shirofuji2005-img450x600-13259006886mhceq39730.jpg

xxdfge00107011.jpg

xxcvgfre00107010.jpg

zzz00107005.jpg

shirofuji2005-img600x450-1325896588dzs1ba71178.jpg

zz001sss07005.jpg

zz0107004ddd.jpg

zzz001dddd07002.jpg

zzzcfd00107001.jpg

Eric, I agree its criminal. I see exactly the same on Yahoo Japan almost daily - a consecutive succession of postings of armour pieces that obviously belong together. The great tragedy is that the vast majority will never be reunited. I have just bought an armour that has lost its san-gu, the vendor having put in some absolutely wrecked items that have obviously come out of the tsunami zone to replace the original pieces. I knew this when I bought it, and I am lucky enough to have parts I can make it up with, but what a shame. But, what can you do? As for the armour you have posted - what a joy. It is in such wonderful condition and such a rarity, the seller should be ashamed.

Ian Bottomley

Ian your right, it should be criminal, here is what the same dealer is selling now, I havent taken a close look but probably another complete armor being sold in pieces. Last week it looked like he took apart two matching saddles and sold the parts. I cant understand why he will not offer complete armors for sale first before taking them apart and destroying so much history.

https://www.jauce.com/view.php?seturl=h ... rofuji2005

Eric,

You have presented an interesting issue - as well as images of a very interesting armor. It is truly amazing that anyone would break up such as obvious matched and mated unit.

Still, I feel the need to point out that many of the "suits" we encounter, as well as many swords, koshirae, and other 'kits', have obviously been wed in the past. The challenge is knowing what must be preserved, what doesn't belong with the rest, which elements are beyond hope, and what might best be appreciated alone.

Peter

...Still, I feel the need to point out that many of the "suits" we encounter, as well as many swords, koshirae, and other 'kits', have obviously been wed in the past. The challenge is knowing what must be preserved, what doesn't belong with the rest, which elements are beyond hope, and what might best be appreciated alone.

Peter

This is the fun of the hunt Peter! This is why I study, to know what was original and what was added later. The art of preservation and the art of the hunt keeps me moving forward! :D

As a disclaimer... I only have one set of armor that is complete and all original, the rest of my armor is a collection of pieces.

• 3 months later...

I've just seen a Yahoo crime listed. Very nice armour, but even the sangu is being offered as single items. I'm sure they use it to trap the buyer into paying over the odds to "win' the set. They probably are bidding against one item too, just to ensure the inflation.

Makes me wana be sick, I hate it.

Almost all sellers in yahoo Japan bidding against their own item. As you say, is to rise prices. I see that to in dealers auction. Two years ago I buy a tatami yoroi, the seller before the auction begin ask me how much I want to pay, speek with other dealers and at the end, surprise, I win it at the price we speak before, still a good deal I think , but a lot of work to do on it.

Christophe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..