The one at Buddhamuseum is a fake. No chance at all thats 19th Century. Note the lack of detail in the feet, always a give away, the eyes etc. I doubt its more than 10 years old.

Actually looking at the site most of the netsuke they have are fake. I can see a few that potentially look real but the vast majority are clear fakes.

The one at Buddhamuseum is a fake. No chance at all thats 19th Century. Note the lack of detail in the feet, always a give away, the eyes etc. I doubt its more than 10 years old.

Actually looking at the site most of the netsuke they have are fake. I can see a few that potentially look real but the vast majority are clear fakes.

Hi,

Sorry, and thank you. I did not realize it was a fake. :shock:

Thankyou Koichi san. Although the museum piece is spurious the translation is great. PCF, I believe that the netsuke my freind has is legit. His Grandmother received it from a Japanese gentleman suitor in the 50's. I think there was less fakery then than now, although it needs an expert appraisal. My camera's batteries died after the one pic (go figure) and I shall post more later just for interest.John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..