displaying your collection?

Hi Reinier, I have some swords on the wall but most in tansu. A few Japanese adventurers that paddle down the Mackenzie River to the Beaufort Sea have seen it and has been a good way to break the ice. Thankfully, most visitors had a good grasp of English. What is strange to me is that for the most part they were not as enamoured of artifacts of their heritage as others appeared to be. I guess it is too commonplace when new experiences were being sought, they were more interested in my grizzly fur parka, Inuit art and walrus ivory. I have the window of that room covered with stainless steel expanded metal and the only door has four locks. When I leave for extended time I put the most valuable of my pieces in the gun safe. My collection of western swords I keep on display for the most part but my nihonto tucked away in shirasaya in bags and koshirae separately bagged. John

In june 2005, I bought some land in the mountain and build a new house.

I moved in 6 months later.

A part of the rez-de-chaussé was for displaying my Japanese swords.

A great little Japanese spot.

When the burglars came in 3 months later, it was like looking for nails at home depot.

They just serve themselves.

Now, I keep my swords in a safe place and only display my old boken.

I display my swords only when we are in the house.

So be carefull ...

BenoitD

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Reinier

I'm the same as the other guys.......only a bokken in a silk shira-saya bag on display with all the good stuff hidden away.

If burglars call and you have swords prominantly on display you are a: highly likely to lose them or b: have them used against you as a weapon if you are unfortunate enough to be in the house at the time. Neither option is very nice.

Show them to trusted friends only in my opinion.

All the best,

Simon

Do not talk too much about your collection around you, especially about

its value. You never know who is listening and then ...

- You know this guy at the end of the street, I heard he has a great

sword collection. Worth a couple of thousand bucks ...

A question for Tonyb, what is your adress again ... :D

BenoitD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..