Our Goverment not allowing Japanese swords!!!

Just got a letter from the US Fish and Wildlife that my Tanto is on hold due to the string rays skin on it and I have to prove what other skins are on the mounting and are they endagered or not ...also that just noting the sword is over 100 years will not work they want to know when the sword and when the mounting was made and by who!! Are you F'n shitting me!!!

I have a 3rd grade person that is going to keep my tanto becouse they have no clue what they are looking at, they think the Same saya is tanned cow skin..well that is a plus for me!

So FYI it was shipped Fed-X and they hit me for 143.00 for import fees on the paper work for the US Fish and Wildlife, so I also have to pay some ass who is holding my tanto!!

God bless us, and where we are going!

Fred

Why does my blood pressure go so high as I grit my teeth and fume? Government in general can legislate ridiculous laws that do nothing but justify some petty beaureacrat's position and do nothing to regulate coporate malfeasance on a global scale. Something useful. "We the people".. need to get it through to these politicians with their overpayed work poor amorality that it is us, the regular Joe, whom they serve not corporations, big oil or military contractors. I feel sorry for the crap Fred and all of us face regularly. John

Dear Fred,

" God bless us, and where we are going! "

Short and sweet : TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET ! If they are located in the same city as where you live or have an office there, ... I would go down and speak to them in person. I do not believe that Stingray ( same ) is on any endangered list. It certainly is not on the CITIES endangered list which I believe is what the US Fish & Wildlife use as a bench mark. Even the IUCN ( International Union for the Conservation of Nature ) which I believe do not have any authority other than as a tree hugging organization which tries to influence governments lists only the following as endangered : Ganges Stinray, Marbled Stingray, Mekong Stingray, and the Thorny Freshwater Stingray. Do some Google Research and print out the information you need to back your case. If nothing else go to your Congress Man and demand his/her involvement. The US Fish & Wildlife Service are on about the same level as BATF, .... a bunch of KEYSTONE COPS with nothing better to do than harass honest people because they are to F'ing incompetent to catch real criminals. By the way I got that from a friend who worked in the White House.

First be consiliatory, ... if that fails go for their throat with your Congress Man representative.

... Ron Watson

That sounds particularly bizarre, Fred, as a local US Fish & Wildlife employee bought a wakizashi & tanto - both with samegawa - from our sword society booth last month at a gun show. He was in uniform & so easy to recognize. I wonder if your guy is just looking for a free tanto...?

Ken

I suspect this is due to the same arcane rule that has led to the major problems that Gibson guitars has been having. As I understand it, it originally started from a law that was written in the twenties or thirties to stop the importation of fancy feathers that women were wearing during the flapper era!

Just got a letter from the US Fish and Wildlife that my Tanto is on hold due to the string rays skin on it .....

It is not 'stringray' and probably it is not even stingray at all.

As far as I know pearl ray is RAJA UNDULATA while stingrays (there are many types of them) belong to the DASYATIS family. In case you continue to have problems with the customs you might mention that pearl ray is widely use in the leather industry for decorative purposes. I have not heard about any commercial restrictions with both types.

I hope this may help you to get your TANTO back before the custom's fingerprints on the blade turn to rust....

Land of the Free - Home of the crazies !! - our Fisheries and Wildlife guys only check on illegal hunting and fishing - that said they all wear 9mm Glocks in case you have a loaded trout in your trunk It is all customs and excise for imports in Canada but they just laid off most of the folks on the borders in the last go -round - \\

It is amazing the control the beaurocrats will assume if no one tells them to smarten up; they create work to look busy and can report that they did hell and all, and there are so many layers between the people that you will interact with - and the top of that food chain

In fact if anyone on earth thinks it is the people through their politicians who are running the governments give your head a shake - I wish I knew what would have to be done to take the countries back from loons and big business and the men with the money.

In fact if anyone on earth thinks it is the people through their politicians who are running the governments give your head a shake - I wish I knew what would have to be done to take the countries back from loons and big business and the men with the money.

It's sad to say, but I'm afraid it's always been that way and always will be...

Hi Fred:

That is F'd up!

Please fax me that letter. 561-214-9711

I have a friend that is in a battle with them over some exotic animal dispute. They are ruining the Pet Industry because of a few Burmese Pythons in the Everglades, a critical mass of which died out because of a cold snap from a few years ago...Yet, they still keep begging for even more Federal Grant Money to erradicate Pythons that are not there in sustainable populations. (Don't believe those Animal Planet shows; specimens are all planted). But, that is another story.

They are way over stepping their jurisdiction on this one. Becoming a little too power hungry. Damned Squirrel Cops.

Well , here is one for you..it showed up!! the day after I go the letter, and it came with a letter saying it is on hold due to declaration (3-177) which is required by (50 CFR14.6) with a note that is contains stingray??

So I am not calling anyone as it is on hold.... but I guess I will consider it on hold at my house in the safe!!

You do not know if you should cry or laugh with all this???

Fred

Bizarre... but just takes one arsehole and they exist all over the world guys... everywhere...

I am preparing to possibly fly to Japan to throttle an official in Kobe... or a least give him a f***ing good dressing down anyway.... been banging my head against the wall with this power pissed prick 24/7 for the last 3 weeks...

Luckily Japan, Canada, UK, Aussie and the USA are not as bad as many places I could mention.

Glad you got it finally, Fred.

Cheers

Curran's issues sounds maybe more personally serious...

Mine does not involve swords, but involves a small man dragging a 120+ year old law out of some dusty old books, thereby preventing billions of $$$ in potential investment and a massive economic impact to certain areas of Japan.

However the issue of petty bureaucracy (and utter stupidity) getting in the way of these things is the same...

Most of the time we are wasting precious time doing this >>>> :bang:

Deep breath, sit down, glass of imo shochu (rock dake)...... aaaand relax!

Cheers

Remember the words of Thomas Jefferson;

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Dear Ed,

Would'nt it be a breath of fresh air to have such a President again. I am Canadian, ... but have always been a great admirer of Mr. Jefferson. You are a lucky people to have had such a leader, ... wish the same were true today.

... Ron Watson

Dear Curran,

I could write a book on such problems. Having been in the antique weapons business for well over 35 years, ... I have been arrested ( no correct that ... DETAINED ) at Heathrow in the UK once, Pearson International in Toronto once, O'Hare in Chicago once, BWI in Washington, DC twice, Winnipeg International twice. My wife now refuses to travel by air with me. Each time it was overzealous Security or Customs personel who through lack of knowledge/intelligence ( illiterate and cannot read ) caused me grief. Not once did I receive an apology. I would not worry about getting a tattoo just yet ( at least nothing with the word " virgin " included ). Hell, ... I would'nt personally even bother with a lawyer, ... quite often just being yourself and explaining the circumstances to a judge will be adequate to having the case dismissed. I wish you all the best.

... Ron Watson

Dear Ed,

Would'nt it be a breath of fresh air to have such a President again. I am Canadian, ... but have always been a great admirer of Mr. Jefferson. You are a lucky people to have had such a leader, ... wish the same were true today.

... Ron Watson

Except for the fact that he owned slaves and raped them and enslaved the children that were produced.

What a wonderful man he was indeed, the Constitution he worked so hard on was only meant for white men, there were plenty of men back then with a much better moral compass to admire.

http://www.uwec.edu/geography/ivogeler/w188/jeff.htm

Dear Eric,

Of the first five presidents, four owned slaves. All four of these owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next five presidents (#6-10), four owned slaves. Only two of them owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next five presidents (#11-15), two owned slaves. Both of these two owned slaves while they were president.

Of the next three presidents (#16-18) two owned slaves. neither of them owned slaves while serving as president.

The last president to own slaves while in office was the twelfth president, Zachary Taylor (1849-1850).

The last president to own slaves at all was the eighteenth president, Ulysses S. Grant (1869-1877).

So twelve of your presidents owned slaves and eight of them owned slaves while serving as president.

As far as raping female slaves, ... it is true that Thomas Jefferson fathered 6 children by a slave girl named Sally Hemings. Sally Hemings was half-sister to Jefferson's wife, Martha, both women having been fathered by the same plantation owner.

I do not believe from what I've read that he raped her, ... It would seem to me at least that the evidence points to a mutal affection.

...Ron Watson

PS> By the way Eric, ... your very first President owned Slaves ( George Washington ). Britain never abolished slavery in the UK until 1833, ... so you see slavery was a global phenomena well before the Declaration of Independance and the Constitution were written and WELL AFTER.

" there were plenty of men back then with a much better moral compass to admire. " .... NAME ME ONE.

... Ron Watson

EDITED FOR SPELLING ERRORS ONLY.

"Our heroes and especially presidents are not gods or saints, but flesh-and-blood humans."

This is so true. Like all men, they were capable of great things and horrible things. Jefferson wrote some of the greatest documents ever concerning freedom and liberty... and yet he bought and sold human beings like they were cattle. Go figure.

Ok..no more about slaves and US presidents. This isn't the Izakhaya and the topic cannot end well.

Curran, I am really sorry to hear about your trouble. It's crazy that tiny things like that can become such a huge issue. I am confident a court of law will dismiss the charges, but of course the time and money lost are not easily replaced. I guess proof that the item is an antique, and maybe a letter from the seller would assist. Keep us updated.

Brian

the Japanese Embassy of Florida have decided not to get involved or help.
Since Florida isn't an independant country (yet? :D) there's no embassy there - you probably mean the Consulate General in Miami ;) ? Anyhow, it would be a violation of the Vienna Convention if they'd got involved in the internal affairs of their host country, especially since you're not even a Japanese citizen.

Brian,

Sorry my post was turned into a racial/slavery thing, it was not my intention. I will not discuss slavery, but must say two things. First, slavery while an inherently bad idea, was accepted and existed worldwide prior to America's discovery. Secondly, America seems to get the blame for the existence of slavery. America did not invent slavery, we did however end it !!!

Jefferson was a great leader and visionary who had the guts to stand up for what he believed. It is a shame that the tyranny of today's government has the people of the country scared to stand up for their constitutional rights.

I did a little research for you. If you are thinking of joining a gang. The six major Florida prison gangs currently are:

Neta

Aryan Brotherhood

Black Guerrilla Family

Mexican Mafia

La Nuestra Familia

Texas Syndicate

As only two of these accept white men, I am thinking Texas Syndicate or Aryan Brotherhood.

As far as tattoos go, you will need gang affiliation prior to getting their tats.

General tattoos should indicate power and ruthlessness. Maybe a skull with a large knife sticking through it with lots of blood(if your thinking Aryans, nazi dagger would be nice) . Nice logo underneath, like "Kill em all, let God sort em out".

Just kidding, they are not going to send you to prison, so don't waste any money on tattoos yet. They would have to release a real criminal to find you a spot. At worst, you may get a slap on the wrist and a fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..