carp theme?

Reinier

is the carp theme common for fittings?

i'm inspired by mantis dude to collect a single theme that holds a special meaning to me.

i've been fishing for carp for over 10 years now i think collecting carp themed fittings would be a great combination of two passionsof mine.

i also read that the carp stands for courage, persistance, determination and perseverance so that makes it even more interesting.

i've searched a lot of sites and only found 2 tsubas with a carp theme and one with a angling theme.

have you guys come across many carps in the past?

sorry i take every chance to show off ;)

030725_28.jpg

The carp theme is a very polular theme among Nihonto fittings. I am quite partial too, and have often thought it will make a great theme.

I won't post all the links here, but if you google "carp koshirae" you will pull up many links.

Lots of the carp themes depict the koi, but I think I am correct that there is a strong link between the 2, and they are family.

Good luck with your field, you should easily be able to build up a nice collection if the funds allow it :D

Regards,

Brian

There are definately carp themed fittings out there. I think I just saw one on Aoi in one of the fittings. The Goto school did some as well. It isn't extremely common, but I consider that good, part of the fun is the hunt, if it is too easy then there is no hunt. I have seen different ones from carp, but that may be a judgement call sometimes and then the koi dude may get upset-haha. I always thought about doing a fishing theme for mounting a sword (I like the mantis items displayed). Fishing is my favorite hobby or at least it was before I messed up my neck and back. Really miss fly fishing! If I find some, I will let you know. I remember fishing in one stream in Rochester. They hunted carp by bowhunting and then leaving the carcuses around. shame, was great stream/river fed into a great lake. Had trout, carp, large and small mouth bass, sunfish and salmon. I caught over 40 fish one day was fun! But those smelly carp carcuses. Anyway, go for it. See if you can find some legends with carp in them. All the best.

:!: 8) :D

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Reinier'

I recently bought these katana size "carp in waves" shakudo menuki at an antique fair in Tokyo.

Not great quality but certainly related to your theme.

Simon

carpxa5.th.jpg

wow that is indeed a very nice carp tsuba roninjje.

that is my favorite type of tsuba (at the moment) and i hope to find something similar somewhere in the future :)

i love that f&k set as well.

it's the first i've come across with a carp theme.

Reinier

Milt, you do have the best stuff ;)

And I do love that tsuba -

By the way, a great blue heron got all my koi - again :cry:

don't forget your autographed book when you drop by my table( hopefully drop some cash ) at the Chicago show...............

milt the ronin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..