Kamon Identification

Thanks,

I have been thru most of them, and have been looking for a while now.

I have a Kamon book, and it is not listed.

My juvenile thoughts were this-

The making of guns had slowed to only the elite since the "central government" (Shogun) had to approve all "governmental" orders of guns. So, maybe this gun was ordered by some wealthy Samurai or Lord and this kamon would identify them.

The barrel is signed by Wada Jidaiyu who was a Hino smith and the stock is Sakai, if that helps.

Thank you,

I am well aware of how a Kamon can be created or merged. If it was significant enough to apply to such a costly item, I am hopeful someone can identify it.

I have spent the last few months looking it over and can't seem to nail it down. I have exhausted my research limits.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Hello Justin, I have a koshirae with a similar Mon on the fittings.I am open to correction but my research revealed that it is the MOKKOU Mon which is a cross section of the flowering quince.There are apparently 24 variations of this Mon one of which was favoured by Oda Nobunagu.Regards,

Variant of the Mikumo Mon. Usually portrayed with two straight lines beneath but not in a circle. When in a circle the two lines are omitted, and only the mon itself is within the circle. There may also be some other significance to either the lack or inclusion of the two lines. Se samurai archives.

Justin, According to Seishi Kamon no Jiten, your kamon was used by a family called Saito. Whether this is THE Saito or not I cannot say. The book simply lists the kamon used by families with names pronounced the same irrespective of the Kanji used.

Ian Bottomley

Thank you all!

Ian- I have that book, and did not equate the Kamon, maybe I was taking the straight lines of the "diamond" as being exact. Or maybe I am not looking at the right page/kamon. From what I see, THE SAITO used a "wave" kamon, so maybe the family that used this is a Saito, just a smaller or different line.

However, I did read that Saito and Oda had an arranged marriage to keep some peace, so maybe a derivative.

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Ian, et al,

I am still researching this Kamon, and in class today (East Asian Studies at Indiana University) we are studying Hotta Masayoshi and presto, this is the same Kamon.

So, I started looking into this and this clan was awarded the han of Shinano in 1635, then in 1643 they were moved to Sakura where they remained until the end of the Edo era.

So, we are speculating that the Tanegashima was made in the late 1790's early 1820's. The maker signed that he was from Go Shu Hino, and the early part of the clan was in Shinano, which is right there, but the decorations are Sakai, so I am just looking for some thoughts.

Thanks..

Justin (Watching the US Elections Results on TV, and shaking my head)

"But what of Sakura-han? Sakura castle built by Chiba Suketane, was the base for the Kunô and Matsudaira families before being rebuilt by the Doi Family in 1610, when it was enlarged and improved upon. Not long after it changed hands again passing to several families until it was given in fief to the Hotta family in 1745.

Not far from Sakura castle, there was a large smithy, Kajisaku, established by the Han early in the Edo period. The Kunitomo gunsmiths worked here as well as Fujieda Haruhiro among others. It seems that some Edo smiths may have traveled out here to work in what was a kind of forge for hire. Students of Masahide, like Masayoshi and Tadayoshi may also have rented workspace here and this may be the true origin of Tadayoshis’ Sakura connexion, though there are other theories."

Excerpted from the article on Hosokawa Tadayoshi orignially published in Tô-Ron, now on my website...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..