new sword enthusist _buys fakes

thanks for this forum, i am a new sword buyer and have become very experienced in fake swords. LOL After receiving the fakes from china I started to research wisdom sites on how to spot fakes. Thanks to all the various educational web sites that provide pictures and real historical facts.

lt seems that even a GI bringback from the islands are selling upwards of 600 to 1200 dollars_are they really worth that? even the machine made ones ? sorry, I'm new to computers also but i can tell a real one from a fake now. I would appreciate any feed back.

:(

Bob,

That is a difficult question to answer. Something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.

But yes..I would have to say that standard Shin-gunto are going typically around $750-1500..machine made.

Many/most of these are not bought by the Nihonto collectors..they are bought by the militaria collectors with a Japanese field of interest.

Japanese swords also seem to be in fashion again with collectors, and the prices have been rising. Cast aluminium handled NCO shin gunto used to go easily for $350...now they go for around $600 or more.

This is competely apart from genuine Nihonto such as Gendaito which are traditionally made, and fetch much higher prices.

So are machine made swords worth that? To collectors of non-traditionally forged swords and militaria, I would say yes.

Often the collectors will start with those though, and eventually discover they have an interest in the history of the swords, and migrate to genuine Nihonto. Seen it happen very often. This is why the machine made ones still have some relevance to this Nihonto forum :)

Regards,

Brian

Benoit,

$3550 is just a little extreme..even if for the scarce copper handled NCO shin-gunto :shock:

I know pcay handles good quality stuff..but that is a real excepttion.

Wow...can get a nice Nihonto for that.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..