daimyou54eb

fan

Eric,

The general concensus is that they know their armour quite well, but don't know much about their Nihonto or Tosogu. Honest seller with the occasional nice item, but generally lower end stuff. I have seen the odd repro f/k that slipped in with the genuine items, but it is up to you to examine the pics. They do post lots of pics and rely on the buyer to verify what they have been told about the items.

My dealings with them have been fairly pleasant, but remember that what they state about an item is not always 100% accurate.

Regards,

Brian

thanks guys.

the reason i ask is that i bought a wak from him in may but never got it. he even acknowledged that he did not send it out. but never refunded me nor got back to me. i thought it's a bit odd with seemingly lots of good feedback.

eric

I bought a pair of menuki that turned out to be reproduction. I complained and was asked to return them to him. I mailed them back and he has never repiad my money. I have contacted him again recently and he asked me to explain the whole matter again. If in the end I do receive my refund I would be happy.

I would note that he says something like "return is not possible". So he did make a concession when I told him the menuki were identical to each other and reproductions. He did offer to take them back.

Guest Nanshoku-Samurai

I had bought quite a few items from them over the past years until recently: After I had won 3 items from them at about $650.00 value and paid them through PayPal they kept on claiming not having received my funds.

It took about 30 e-mails to them - which was useless - and in the end the work of a Japanese lawyer to get my items. They wouldn't listen to me nor a PayPal representative that got back to them.

Substracting the cost of the lawyer and the time involved it was an awfull loss and waste of time.

As far as their general stuff for sale goes, I would like to think that:

1. They have good armor that is in most of the time well restored condition but as they are expertes on their field thewre are hardly any bargains aboard.

2. Much of their Kodugu is of modern age and reproduced. I had boiught a pair of Goto like Menuki which was all cast and cearly made in recent days.

3. Their swords (unless issued with NBTHK or NTHK Origami) are either Gimei, tiered or full of flaws most of the time.

4. I had to notice that they now have even started to issue their own "paper" for some of their stuff. This is very misleading in my oppinion as some my consider this to be a proof of authenticy but infact it is nothing but a sales paper.

All in all I think there are many other honest, serious and friendly Japanese dealers to be found on the internet and personally I would stay away form this daimyou seller - just my two cents though.

Happy eBay hunting to all,

Max

... due to the fact that in Japan the Mastercard is not accepted as a valid payment option ...

Master Card is widely used here in Japan.

BTW, I read about you in the Taiheiki, Kusonoki-dono, and am surprised to see you posting on the internet. Things changed quite abit since your birth in 1294, didn't they?

Ah! you read that lovely story of my last stand against the enemies of the one true emperor when there were two!....

Unfortunately we lost, and so set in motion the demise of the samurai as organised by a certain mister Meiji in 1876 after first cleverly deceiving Saigo Takamori and a lot of others!! Mr Meiji was not and never will be! the real decendant of Amaterasu Omikami for that matter..

(why i then choose the Ashikaga mon as my avatar i do not know........)

hahaha so much for my humour....

about mastercard... the mastercard as issued by the POSTBANK, is not deemed valid payment if you use PayPal... due to the fact that in Japan they make a fuss about it... now wether that is because of the Japanese PayPal organisation or the POSTBANK itself i do not know...

But it does help to speak Japanese when you deal with Japanese dealers, especially through the internet.

KM :badgrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.. i am at the moment entangled with this seller in a dispute since he blatantly LIES about shipping costs...

he wants me to pay for a parcel of 2 Kg (suneate/haidate) he is sending with EMS,

which according to the EMS site, both in Japanese as in English is 4600 yen...

which is NOT 75 US$ as he claims...

however he is non responsive at the moment, and pretends he doesnt understand Japanese...... or even English for that matter...........

I also suspect him of shilling his own auctions, due to the fact all of his bidders are privately listed, and since a lot of his stuff starts cheap and always seems to get up until the point of him making a profit....

furthermore, he is also presenting an item on e bay which consists of suneate, haidate and kote for the exact same shipping price of 75 US$

I have notified E-bay and they will investigate him thoroughly.

thank god i havent paid yet..

but to those of you who deal with people in Japan,

always check the official EMS site!!!

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/tsuiseki/ems/

best wishes,

Kusunokimasahige

PS: and if you want a truly genuine and honest seller, buy from TORABA!

Peter,

That is true, but I feel strongly that in that case, sellers must clearly state that they charge for shipping and handling.

When I sell on eBay, I sell with the foreknowledge that if I don't specify it..then I cannot try and make a profit for my time and effort.

I have been gouged many times. The most recent was $44 postage for a tsuba and f/k that cost the seller $19 including insurance. That is just not acceptable. It seems to be almost standard practice nowdays to make up auction shortfalls with overcharging postage, and a bogus handling charge that is not pre-mentioned.

Many (not all) sellers use old boxes that cost them nothing, and all you have is a minimal cost for tape and wrapping. I don't charge for that..it is part of my service when I sell.

I don't even bother buying these tiny items from Japan when I see they want $50 and more for shipping a set of menuki or a single fuchi.

OK..just my rant for the day :)

Must be off to finish work so I can go away for the weekend.

Brian

I agree fully with you..

If I specify a price for a parcel, it is always based on weight, and the XE currency converter rates of that moment.

sometimes I make a profit on my item, and i take a loss if i am dumb enough not to put a reserve on it... my start bid in the event of a no reserve auction is the minimal amount i want to have for it, and if a seller wants to add handling fees he should state it clearly on his site.

I just find it hard to believe E-bay does not do anything about these power sellers that fraudulently rip off others..

just today i saw Daimyou try to sell suneate haidate and kote, for 520 US$.. shipping costs: 59 US$.... so i wrote to him that i had him by the cojones, and had proof he hassled people... 5 minutes later he had changed the shipping costs into 75 US$, the same amount i should pay for the suneate and haidate i won..... i have told him to cancel the deal.

i am not some baka na gaijin who he can rip off. several well respected dealers from Japan also have warned me about him now, and are planning to take action themselves.. unfortunately their lines to helpful oyabun are non existent..........

I once was robbed of 250 US$ for a repro kabuto (western union) in my early e bay days, but the romanian gangsters were apprehended thanx to the fact i know my way around IP and other tools....... 8)

also i was ripped off by a guy for 144 US$ for a WWII USAAF FLAK helmet,

and e-bay deleted his account. never saw the money back though...... nor did the helmet ever arrive.

so yes, i am weary, vigilant and if nessecary militant.

By the way if any of you have haidate and suneate for sale (good repro preferably, since its for re-enactment) please pm me.

;)

KM

well, I have good experience with some e-bay sellers............. one who i bought a lot of paintings from in Japan always save me $ on combined shipping, one time he actually refunded my $ ( partial )because the shipping fee he quoted was higher than the actual cost.

Also Walberg is fair with his shipping charge. The latest tsuba I bought from him he actually air expressed to me even though he charged for priority mail...........can't complain about that.

Milt THE ronin

KM,

we all know you are not that " royalist " of the Nambokucho period.........

but are you " Kunitaro " , the guy that lives in the Netherland but has family in Tokyo ( and have a papered Muramasa )?

I bought a few tsuba from the guy before and they are good........just wondering.

Milt THE ronin

No I am not... hehe I am not Japanese, nor do i have the money (yet) to buy a real nihon-to.......

dont have any tsuba either unfortunately...

i am still trying to complete my gusoku!

KM

PS: i am no royalist either thank the gods... i prefer the bakufu.......

hahahahahaha

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I purchased a pair of menuki form him on ebay. They turned out to be reprductions. When I email him he told me to return them for a refund. I mailed them to him months and months ago - still no refund :(

He does not resond to my emails and pretends ignorance of this transaction gone bad. Perhaps he is sooo busy that I got lost in the shuffle. I will continue to warn others against doing business with Daimyo54.

well... according to a few very good sellers I know from Japan he is a shill bidder, a liar and a cheat. he lies about original or not original, and a hell of a lot of other things for that matter.

For instance he shill bidded on my haidate and suneate bids (no factual proof though) but there was a pattern, after watching a lot of his other auctions i saw the same pattern over and over again.

Also he wanted me to pay 75 US$ for the both in combined ems shipping while the true shipping costs according to the Japanese post office were 40 US$. So I denounced him to e-bay and low and behold, a week later his shipping quotes were correct EMS ones.

I refused to pay him for the haidate and suneate untill the shipping question was resolved, and offered him even 45-50 US$ on the combined shipping..... (all letters written in Japanese) so what does he do? he relists the haidate before i had the chance to open an official dispute. also wrote that to e-bay who told me they were investigating this seller.

(They still have not acted..... )

after which he also blocked me as bidder on his auctions...

Also handy might be to read some of the neg feedback and get in touch with some of them... In the above postings there is the story of the guy who had to get a Japanese lawyer out to get his refund........

i would love to see him out of business or have the kami do it since he is a blatant insult to bushido and the samurai legacy.

i am still really angry with him........ alass i know no Oyabun in Japan yet who can pay him a visit (JOKE!!)

i say this just to show how angry i am with this person and what he tried to pull off with me.

best wishes,

KM

Hi everyone,

I have purchased many items from Takeshi Hanamoto (Daimyou54) and have never had a problem. In fact, I purchased some of the first items he ever posted on eBay. Shipping is always very fast (by EMS anyway) and everything is as described. In my view he never says something is definately antique, just that it looks old. Armour is their area of speciality, anything else may be a bit of a gamble. In my opinion, the photos are always very clear and it is easy to pick the bad stuff.

I notice that he has a lot of junk on eBay lately, so maybe his focus has changed.

I think the slow replies and miscommunication may be because he sells so much on eBay. If you have a problem, then I would persist and you should be able to sort it out.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Regards

Justin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..