Teppo?

Excellent question.

Although it does have some Japanese characteristics, I have never seen a Japanese teppo quite as knobbly and chunky as this. They tend to be simpler and not to use screws. My first guess is that you have a very early teppo of the type that may have served as a model for Japanese teppo in general. Are we looking at a SW Asia/Goa example? What is the story that came with this?

Perhaps Ron or Ian can clarify?

(The other day at a popular antiques market in London there was a dealer with a pistol which he was telling everyone was Japanese It wasn't, but I kept quiet.)

Anthony, The gun is actually from the Burma region. Piers is quite right in that it shares characteristics with Japanese guns since they are cousins. In 1510 the Portuguese captured Goa in India where they already had an arsenal. After rounding up the workers, who had done a runner when the invaders arrived, they were set to work under German supervisors making handguns. It was the Germans who introduced the idea of the snapping matchlock into the equation, as well as the butt shape. There are guns made in Kurg, near Goa that had stocks in which you can see similarities to German petronels. These Goan made guns were then taken by Portuguese traders across South East Asia, each country putting their own spin on the basic model. When the Portuguese reached China and Japan, both countries adopted the same gun but added their own modifications - in the case of the Japanese this was primarily the substitution of pins and other fastenings in place of screws.

Ian Bottomley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..