The way of warrior-samuraie on youtube

This is a very intersting 4 parts video on youtube. I attached the link for the first part, you can find the other parts on youtube should you decide to watch them all.

It is intersting that the Iadio Sensei uses a 600 years old katana in his katas. Also there is a short part on making a katana by Yoshihara Jr.

Enjoy,

Rod

the story of the boyfriend hunting for the tiger is obviously apocryphal as there's no tiger in Japan ( edo days, that is ).............

The origin of that seems to be the story of General Riko (李広将軍; I do not know the original reading.) written in Shiji (史記). In the story, he shot the tiger (stone) for his mother.

FYI; Shiji

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiji

I was very surprised when I saw him in the video. I imported a sword into Japan via unaccompanied air luggage in 2003 (never again, what a hassle!), and therefore had to attend a pre-Shinsa at Narita airport. Through this video I now learn that it was no other than Ôtake-sensei who met me in a stuffy room at one of the cargo offices at the airport. It was a sweltereing day in August, no a/c, and we were sweating like pigs, but he was very kind, and an extremely pleasant person to talk to, and obviously knew a lot about Nihontô. I had no idea he's such a famous person!

I was very surprised when I saw him in the video. I imported a sword into Japan via unaccompanied air luggage in 2003 (never again, what a hassle!), and therefore had to attend a pre-Shinsa at Narita airport. Through this video I now learn that it was no other than Ôtake-sensei who met me in a stuffy room at one of the cargo offices at the airport. It was a sweltereing day in August, no a/c, and we were sweating like pigs, but he was very kind, and an extremely pleasant person to talk to, and obviously knew a lot about Nihontô. I had no idea he's such a famous person!

How old you think he was when you were in the Turkish bath ?

milt the ronin

The film footage actually come from a BBC series entitled "The way of the warrior, the paradox of the martial arts" and was filmed a little over 20 years ago.

The Katori Shinto Ryu is considered by many authorities to be one of the most well preserved classical warrior training systems. There are losses to the curriculum but never-the-less, it's methods and philosophy offer a fascinating and perhaps unique glimpse into the ways of the warriors of old Japan. These old schools ( koryu ) practice Iai-jitsu ( among other things ), which is the purely practical form of what has today evolved into the slightly more "socially acceptable" and less combatitive practice of Iai-do.

Actually, for anyone interested in learning a lot more about Otake Shihan and the school, I would recommend this, as yet unpublished, book purely on the basis of previous offerings from these authors. Here's the link;

http://koryu.com/new.html enjoy :)

cheers, Ford

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the video clips. Very interesting to see how this sensei maneuver with his nihonto. Have you ever cut your fingers?

Hi Ichi,

No I haven’t cut myself in Iaido yet and I always bow to my sword before and after practice to be nice to me. But I get more than enough injuries in Kendo. I heard a high rank Sensei once cut one of his fingers off during Iaido practice and his students took him to the hospital immediately along with the remain of his finger off the floor. The surgeon stitched his finger back and said it was an easy task as the cut was very clean and laser like. The Sensei was able to move his finger after just a few months. Now you know why they like to practice with a 600 years old Koto blade. :badgrin:

Guest Simon Rowson

I well remember watching this TV series on BBC in 1983.

It covered martial arts from all parts of Asia but obviously my favourite episode was the one covering the Katori Shinto Ryu and Ritsuke Otaki.

The only annoying aspect as I recall was the narration which was done by cockney actor Dennis Waterman (of "Minder" fame) who tried, very unsuccessfully, to imitate a cultured upper-class accent. I suppose he thought that his usual "Cor Guvnor, look at that Oh-tacky geezer swing 'is chopper abart!" might lack the required dignity for such a serious programme.

Anyway, it impressed me enough to get the book of the series and the 3 volumes of Otake sensei's "The Deity and the Sword" (both shown below).

Simon

a1us2.th.jpg

a2lq8.th.jpg

Has anyone seen Nihonto TV on YouTube before? I found the videos pretty interesting to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=NihontoTV

Never noticed that the clay used to create the hamon was a different mixture and consistency than the clay used elsewhere on the blade, looked much darker and less dense...I'm guessing more charcoal in it? If so is the extra charcoal to contribute a minute amount of carbon to the ha?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..