possservice - activity increase

I agree that 20 items before the peanut-gallery is a better show than 1 great item. The collector has to decide how much the peanut gallery matters to him. Different collections for different audiences. I have a few pieces in my own collection that aren't very upper crust...but dosh gawn it... I like them.

I'm much the same, I don't know a lot about tsuba, F/K and menuki. I just get what I like and know what I an afford if I like it enough. Mind you, my taste has changed in the last few years. I'm moving away from "sparkly glass" to "diamonds", but the sparkly glass still looks nice.

" PS: that Ishigoru wak-tsuba listed last week by Posservice looked to be a winner -- I was really surprised they had it listed. A dealer would have put that at around $2000 minimum. "

so you saw that too................... :badgrin:

there's another Japanese seller whose stock is getting better albeit there's still a lot of " less desireables " among the rest. They must be unloading collections big time in Japan, damn the weak UNITED STATES DOLLARS !! Most of the guys that buy from me are from Europe and U.K.

milt the ronin

Is this the one that went for around $1600 and change? Forgot the name...sorry.

BTW... really interesting thread.

Deron

In reality what we collect is beyond our control, cause "it's the sword that finds the owner," in the end. :badgrin:

Newton's law of universal gravitation is about the universality of gravity. Newton's place in the Gravity Hall of Fame is not due to his discovery of gravity, but rather due to his discovery that gravitation is universal. ALL objects attract each other with a force of gravitational attraction.

Think about it, Milt and his Bungo, Ken with his Mantis, Rich and his sukashi, :idea: maybe the gravitational attraction is so strong in these cases, I wonder if they're actually metamorphosing :shock:

This also means for some, if they're not careful, they will become the Sisyphus of posservice. :roll:

tongue n cheek, TGIF

Is this the one that went for around $1600 and change? Forgot the name...sorry

Here´s the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... :IT&ih=016

cheers,

Thanks Martin, yes. That was the one I was watching and talking about. WOW... so it's actually worth $2000? OK... that's more than I would spend on a tsuba.

Cheers,

Deron

Think about it, Milt and his Bungo...

Hey Milt! What's the story about the "Bungo"? I heard this mentioned before, but could never get the story...

Deron

I used to collect O-suriage koto swords............. MOST when submit for shinsa, always get " Bungo-ed " :evil: , like I actively seeked out rusty swords, spent the $ on polishing, and wella, find another Bungo and happy as a clam............ :lol:

so.............. I collect ( and try to study ) fittings, so far, damn it, I couldn't find a Bungo tsuba !!

there, you have the whole story.............

milt the ronin

Think about it, Milt and his Bungo...

Hey Milt! What's the story about the "Bungo"? I heard this mentioned before, but could never get the story...

Deron

I used to collect O-suriage koto swords............. MOST when submit for shinsa, always get " Bungo-ed " :evil: , like I actively seeked out rusty swords, spent the $ on polishing, and wella, find another Bungo and happy as a clam............ :lol:

so.............. I collect ( and try to study ) fittings, so far, damn it, I couldn't find a Bungo tsuba !!

there, you have the whole story.............

milt the ronin

:lol: thanks Milt... what's wrong with Bungo? ;)

Deron

" what's wrong with Bungo? "

Nothing........... the most prolific nihonto school judging by the number of Bungo swords surviving to these days.

You don't see too many Yugo still running wild on the city streets, do you ? :badgrin:

milt the ronin

what's wrong with Bungo?

Bungo Takada is the Shoami of blades...there are some very fine examples out there, but in general they were made with "practical, rather than artistic, needs in mind"

Not the most sought after school, and often swords are "bounced" to Bungo when they do not stand out enough to be from one of the other schools. Kind of like the Mino Seki school that I always seem to run across. :roll:

Not to say there aren't some outstanding Bungo blades out there of course. But these would be the exception rather than the rule.

As always...judge each blade for yourself, and not the whole school.

Brian

very fine Shoami tsuba. They get knocked like Bungo, and I believe now Echizen Shimosaka, as in, they become common place labels for swords that don't fit directly into any school, just like Shoami.

However, when they are the real deal, they are usually very good and on many occasions, very very good.

Just my thoughts on that :-)

Rich

Hey man....

Don't lump Shimosaka in with Milt's Bungo! I like Shimosaka. The signed pieces are often decent to very good. If one of the shinsa teams is now dumping unsigned pieces into Echizen Shimosaka... that is just wrong.

what's wrong with Bungo?

Bungo Takada is the Shoami of blades...there are some very fine examples out there, but in general they were made with "practical, rather than artistic, needs in mind"

Not the most sought after school, and often swords are "bounced" to Bungo when they do not stand out enough to be from one of the other schools. Kind of like the Mino Seki school that I always seem to run across. :roll:

Not to say there aren't some outstanding Bungo blades out there of course. But these would be the exception rather than the rule.

As always...judge each blade for yourself, and not the whole school.

Brian

Hi Brian, .... always an education. So let me repeat what you said so that I have is straight... when you said "Bungo Takada is the Shoami of blades" ... this is a good thing? As I understand it ...

"Shoami is usually translated as one who is talented in the arts."

Cheers,

Deron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..